Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 04:31 PM

Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post

Nothing but age and genetics will help you grow taller. Healthy bones certainly helps as well as posture, but thats not height either.
    I agree with this.

Good nutrition is important and lack of stress, since children who don't get good nutrition or are severely stressed can end up a lot shorter. But that's probably not relevant here. I'm guessing that none is getting excellent nutrition and he does not sound like he has a stressful life. :)

But stretching, bicycling, swimming? I would be amazed...
    It is true that bone is constantly being remodeled through the interaction of two kinds of cells--osteoclasts, which break down bone, and osteoblasts, which build it up. Even adults have this going on all the time, so you can change the shape of bone by changing the way you use your muscles. Running and jumping will make your bones denser. (Bicycling, oddly, predisposes people to bone thinning, probably because of the lack of compression on any bones.) MAYBE if you spent an hour on a torture rack every day and didn't manage to destroy your joints, you might get longer bones. I don't know. I don't see it!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Epiphyseal plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Around the end of puberty, the epiphyseal cartilage cells stop duplicating and the entire cartilage is slowly replaced by bone, leaving only a thin epiphyseal line.[1] Once the adult stage is reached, the only way to manipulate height is modifying bone length via distraction osteogenesis.

And check this out.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/...ext.pdf?page=1

It basically says that static (unchanging) strain on bones doesn't alter bone formation, but dynamic (changing) strain does. So a constant pressure doesn't do that much but jumping and running will increase bone mass.
    jlove09 Posts: 73, Reputation: 5

Aug 11, 2009, 06:26 AM

I'm 19 year old female and I'm only 5'2
    I want to at least be about 5'5
    Do you think I can stll grow? Both my parents are like 5'5 and my bro is probably 5'7
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlove09 View Post
    i'm 19 year old female and i'm only 5'2
    I wanna atleast be about 5'5
    do you think i can stll grow? both my parents are like 5'5 and my bro is probably 5'7
    Doubtful. Maybe an inch or two.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 12, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Stretching does two things, it makes you sore, and makes you look like a nut .
    :pstretching does not make you sore! It stops you from getting sore from working out! If you go to any pilates or other class, the first thing you learn is to stretch your muscles so you don't get sore. If you are sore after working out it usually means you didn't stretch enough
    s2000man Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 02:30 PM

No it makes you feel good though
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 09:22 PM

Are there absolutely no way to cheat mother nature to gain a few inches? =P
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 11:09 AM

Hey Noney! Congrats for being now an ultra member! :)

I don't think so... :( I think the last resort remains that you wear high shoes...
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Hey Noney! Congrats for being now an ultra member! :)

I don't think so... :( I think the last resort remains that you wear high shoes...
    awwws. Maybe pull ups or bar ups will stretch my spine. Ima work on it. To be honest unky, I feel kind of short. Im only 5"9 and when I go outside all the other guys look so much taller than me. T_T

Thanks just turned ultramember =P
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:43 PM

5'9?? You said earlier you were 5"10... Oh, that British system... grr. Does that mean 5 feet 10 inches? If that's so, then that makes me a little shorter than you, by an inch or two.

I thought the '10' was meaning tenth of a foot... sigh. :o
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:54 PM
    5'9??? You said earlier you were 5"10... Oh, that British system... grr. does that mean 5 feet 10 inches? If that's so, then that makes me a little shorter than you, by an inch or two.

I thought the '10' was meaning tenth of a foot... sigh. :o
    Well I'm 5 feet 10 inches in the morning but by the end of the day gravity pulls me down to around 5 feet 9 inches.

Lol I'm not that short unky. XD
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:59 PM

So, you see? Lol! Be happy with what you are :) Being too tall has its downsides.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 01:00 PM
    So, you see? lol! Be happy with what you are :) Being too tall has its downsides.
    Ionno I would like an even 6 foot. Just a couple more inches T_T

How tall are you unky? O_O
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 01:01 PM
    I don't believe that exercising will add much to your current height ; maybe 1/2 an inch or so. At age 19 you've probably done all the growing you're going to do so I don't think being taller is in the cards for you. But 5'10" is actually a very average adult male height so why do you feel the need to grow taller? I'm 5'10" myself and have been since I was 16.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    I don't believe that exercising will add much to your current height ; maybe 1/2 an inch or so. At age 19 you've probably done all the growing you're going to do so I don't think being taller is in the cards for you. But 5'10" is actually a very average adult male height so why do you feel the need to grow taller? I'm 5'10" myself and have been since I was 16.
    Its just I would like to be at least 6 foot, it would be easier to play basketball and whenever I walk around the mall or something, there are so many people so much taller than me I feel under average height.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 01:04 PM

I don't exactly know how to convert, but I'm 1m73cm, that is 5.67 feet, 5"8'
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Stretching does two things, it makes you sore, and makes you look like a nut .
    If stretching is making one sore, then it's not being done properly. When done properly, stretching will increase the flexibility of the muscles, thereby increasing their range of motion and reducing the risk of injury. However, I really don't believe that one's height can be increased merely by stretching.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 01:09 PM
    I don't exactly know how to convert, but I'm 1m73cm, that is 5.67 feet, 5"8'
    I'm 178cm lol I just converted. =P

People here are so tall, it makes me still under averaged. >_<
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 08:53 AM

I don't feel like that, if you ask me. I'm fine with my height. I'll not be too far behind on the 'group photos', people won't tall me to lower my head if ever I was in a cinema hall... etc. I like it that way :)
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 17, 2009, 09:15 AM

Maybe you can take steroids noney. Lol. I don't know if it will make you taller though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

18yo grow taller [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 17 close to 18, do you think I am able to grow taller. I'm 6ft have been since 16 and with a size 12 foot. Could I reach 6-2 or 6-3?

Will I grow taller? [ 9 Answers ]

Okay so I'm 13 years old. My mom is 4 11" and my dad is 5 9". Im only 4 10 and a half. I know. Pathetic. And the worst part is, I really don't think I'm growing anymore. I already got 2 growth spirts and my last one was either last year or in 5th grade. I really don't think I'm going to grow...

How can I grow taller? [ 6 Answers ]

OK I'm 16 and I'm 5 ft I've heard that strecthing and calcium can help you grow taller short women kind of run in my family my sister had a growth spurt at 16 so that gives me a little hope I've even asked God to help me grow I know it's a little childish but being short bothers me a lot so please...

Is there any way to grow taller? I'm short [ 12 Answers ]

Is there a way besides pills that can make you taller?:confused:Im only like 5 feet 6 inches and all my other friends are like 6 feet tall!! Im not fat or out of shape or anything I'm just plain short.:(Does Milk help?

How to grow taller [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'me 14 years old and am still 5' 1''. I have not been growing for a year now. I don't usually play or do any sort of sports when I am in school due to my sun allergy problem. I tried following the book " growing taller 4 idiots" but the next day I am unable to move my body and end up getting...

View more questions Search