Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stary8892 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 03:15 PM
    Flush mount cap
    I'm trying to find a flush mount cap for a clay tile drain. It is an unused floor drain in my basement. I've checked all of the box stores and several places on line but to no avail. Anybody have any ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stary8892 View Post
    I'm trying to find a flush mount cap for a clay tile drain. It is an unused floor drain in my basement. I've checked all of the box stores and several places on line but to no avail. Anybody have any ideas?
    Is this a cast iron clean out? Are you looking for a recessed boss cleanout cover?(see image) Please describe the fitting that you're seeking to cap.. What's it made of? In short, I need more details. Regards, tom
    stary8892 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 03:44 PM

speedball1 it is a standard(I believe) clay tile 4" ID drain. The bell end is flush with my basement floor. I want to install carpet in the room and want a flush cap to plug the drain. Any ideas?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 07:03 PM

Put lots of newspaper in the hub and push it 3" deep into the pipe. Mix little bit of mortar and pour it in. That will do the trick...

But they actually sell Clay disk that will fit right into the Hub. It is called "Stopper". You just Grout the seam around the Stopper and the Hub. They sell it in the same place as they sell Clay pipe, or here: http://www.superiorclay.com/clay-pipe-fittings.php
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stary8892 View Post
    speedball1 it is a standard(I believe) clay tile 4" ID drain. The bell end is flush with my basement floor. I want to install carpet in the room and want a flush cap to plug the drain. Any ideas?
    Then get the clay stopper, Superior Clay | Clay Pipe & Fittings Second row down and cement it in. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove the globe from a flush mount ceiling light [ 10 Answers ]

There is a domed shaped globe with a metal ring at it's base. There is no center thumb screw and no ring screws. I have tried to turn it but it moves a fraction of an inch in both directions and no more. I have slid a putty knife between it and the ceiling but I can't pull it down. Everything I...

Is there a specific remote for a Hampton Bay flush mount fan [ 1 Answers ]

Purchased a hampton bay flush mount fan. In the box was a leaflet for remotes sold separately. I went back and purchased the remote pictured assuming if it was in the box with my fan that it would be compatible. After installing ( which was difficult because I did not have much room for the...

Flush Mount Ceiling Fan [ 2 Answers ]

We are building a house with 9 foot ceilings in some bedrooms. Does anyone have any suggestions for flushmount ceiling fans? I would assume we would need to stay around a foot total, including lamp kit, from ceiling to botton of unit. Any suggestions are appreciated.

How do I flush mount my Harbor Breeze fan? [ 2 Answers ]

The box indicates that my 52" ceiling fan "New Orleans" can be flush mounted. But the previous owner of the house didn't leave the directions in the boxk, so I'm having a problem figureing it out. Without the directions, I can't tell if I'm missing a piece, or what. At any rate, I'm wondering if...

Fluorescent bulb in flush mount "spots" [ 6 Answers ]

We have flush mount ceiling fixtures that each have two cylinder "spots". They are made by Hampton Bay and call for 60-watt type R bulbs. We like to put fluorescent bulbs in them (to save energy) but we get a funny smell when we do this. So, the question is: Can we use regular 60-watt bulbs or...

View more questions Search