Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Aug 5, 2009, 09:51 AM

Well just say that all dogs cost money lol. I'm ready for the responsibility though. My sister in law has 2 dogs and I just love them!!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    No, not mine, I wish he was, he's gorgeous ;)

No problem Arty, I'm not saying mutts are unhealthy, just that the people that breed them don't realise what physical problems they could be making.
    Obviously with two breeds like say a labxshepherd there wouldn't be the physical problems, but both breeds can be prone to hip problems...

Makes my head spin :D
    I saw this special one time where they were crossing two different types of pugs to get a real super pug I guess and the poor dogs could barely breathe.It was awful.They just destroyed these dogs they had created.You would think there would be more regulation.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotPotato2009 View Post
    Altenwig your dogs a cute :D Didnt know you had so many animals. I would love to have a puppy, a kitten, and a hampster lol.

I am so ready for the committment of having a dog. I call it practice before having a baby :p even though I have my niece and "almost born" nephew for practice lol. Just something I always wanted

The Humane Society doesnt have the type of dog that I want. I went online and looked but I think that if I were to actually go in there I may see another puppy that I like.

Could anyone tell me all the names of the small dogs that don't get big?? I know that there are Yorkshire, Toy Poodles, Malteese, Chiwawa..... I know I didnt spell that right lol
    Don't forget to look at no kill shelters in your area. There are a lot in my neck of the woods, many actually have breed specific dogs. They don't usually have puppies, unless they took in a female that was pregnant when she arrived, but it's another option.

No kill shelters are usually run out of people's homes, many times the only charge to adopt one of their dogs is to pay for the upkeep costs (shots, food, fixing, etc) they are non profit organizations and do it just for the love of dogs that would otherwise be put to sleep.

Smaller dogs are great but be sure not to pick one just based on how they look. Some smaller dogs require a lot of training, walking, etc. it depends on the breed. Always make sure to pick a dog that matches your energy level and lifestyle, otherwise one of you won't be happy.

There is a "meet your match" questionnaire on the Edmonton Humane Society webpage. I tried to post the link but it wouldn't let me. :(

Here's the link to the Edmonton Humane Society webpage, just go to adoptions and find the questionnaire, it will tell you what kind of dog is best suited for your lifestyle.

Edmonton Humane Society | SPCA in Edmonton, Alberta | Adoptable Animals
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I saw this special one time where they were crossing two different types of pugs to get a real super pug I guess and the poor dogs could barely breathe.It was awful.They just destroyed these dogs they had created.You would think there would be more regulation.
    Wow, that's just awful.
    There are supposedly "standards" they are bred to but some people just take it too far.
    A "short nose" doesn't mean "unable to breathe" :rolleyes:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 5, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Hello!

I need everyones opinion or thought on this one.

Does anyone think that its best to adopt a pet at a Humane Society or is it best to just buy one from newspaper, pet store etc????
    When you buy a pet from a pet store you have made a purchase.
    When you adopt a pet you have made a rescue. You have laterally saved that animals life.
    I lost my beloved Toby after 16 years and it damm near put me down. He was more then just a little Maltese dog. He was my best friend and constant companion. Those of you who live alone know exactly what I'm talking about.
    6 months later I saw Bandits picture in the paper. Bandit had been turned in bby 4 families and was about to be termed "unadaptable". This means that he was very close to being "put down".
    He looked so alone and forlorn I just had to reach out to him. I was warned that he was a bitter and a runner and 2 nights later he lived up to his reputation and bite me, and drew blood, as I was removing a sand spur from his paw.
    We had a few "lively discussions" about just who was going to be "The Alpha Dog" in my house. That was 5 years ago and now Bandit has morphed from a bitter and a runner into a big kisser and a snuggler. He's a happy and contented dog who's found hinself a "forever home". I believe that everyone that lives alone should have a pet to love and get that love returned. I also believe that there are no "bad dogs" just bad masters.
    I'll leave you with this thought.
    Adopting a pet won't change the world but it will certainly change the world for the pet that you adopt.
    Thanks for listening to my story! Tom
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 11:07 AM

Bandit is a cutie Speedball. :)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    When you buy a pet from a pet store you have made a purchase.
    When you adopt a pet you have made a rescue. You have laterally saved that animals life.
    I lost my beloved Toby after 16 years and it damm near put me down. He was more then just a little Maltese dog. He was my best friend and constant companion. Those of you who live alone know exactly what I'm talking about.
    6 months later I saw Bandits picture in the paper. Bandit had been turned in bby 4 families and was about to be termed "unadaptable". This means that he was very close to being "put down".
    He looked so alone and forlorn I just had to reach out to him. I was warned that he was a bitter and a runner and 2 nights later he lived up to his reputation and bite me, and drew blood, as I was removing a sand spur from his paw.
    We had a few "lively discussions" about just who was gonna be "The Alpha Dog" in my house. That was 5 years ago and now Bandit has morphed from a bitter and a runner into a big kisser and a snuggler. He's a happy and contented dog who's found hinself a "forever home". I believe that everyone that lives alone should have a pet to love and get that love returned. I also believe that there are no "bad dogs" just bad masters.
    I'll leave you with this thought.
    Adopting a pet won't change the world but it will certainly change the world for the pet that you adopt.
    Thanks for listening to my story! Tom
    What a touching story,and it is so very true there are no bad dogs just bad masters! Sounds you like you found your perfect match.

Aug 5, 2009, 11:31 AM

Bandit is a cutie!

Aug 5, 2009, 11:38 AM

Altenwig I got the website but I can't find the "meet you match" part. Where exactly do I have to go to find that?

Aug 5, 2009, 11:40 AM

Never mind, I found it lol. Silly me!
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 11:43 AM

Go to "Animals" then "Adoptions" then "meet your match" there is a blue link that says "Print meet your match survey"

I tried to do it but I have no ink left in my printer. :( It also wouldn't let me copy the link.

Let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work for you I'll find one that does. :)

Aug 5, 2009, 11:48 AM

Well thank you very much. I found it, but I have another question for you... I live in PA... is this animal shelter your talking about in my area? I don't know where this place is located and I'm not sure if the animal shelter in my area does the "meet you match" thing but I will ask them anyway.
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Well thank you very much. I found it, but I have another question for you... I live in PA... is this animal shelter your talking about in my area?? I dont know where this place is located and I'm not sure if the animal shelter in my area does the "meet you match" thing but I will ask them anyway.
    It's in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so no, it's not near you, but the questionnaire can still help. It will give you a color code so you can find out what types of dogs are best suited for you.

The Edmonton Humane society doesn't have a lot of dogs currently in their care (thank God) but it will still give you an idea.

Let me see if I can find a more open questionnaire, one that will be breed specific. ;)
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 11:59 AM

Try this one. It's short, sweet but does ask some important questions.

Breed Selector, Dog Search, Puppy Survey, Puppy Test, Test to find the right dog, Breed Quiz

Aug 5, 2009, 12:20 PM

Ok thank you. I'm try it now and then I will let you know how it goes.
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Ok thank you. I'm try it now and then I will let you know how it goes.
    Sounds good. :)

Aug 5, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Ok here's the deal lol :) I'm trying to narrow my search so could you tell me the difference between a hybrid dog and a purebrid dog?? :confused:
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Ok heres the deal lol :) I'm trying to narrow my search so could you tell me the difference between a hybrid dog and a purebrid dog??? :confused:
    From my understanding, a hybrid is a mix, or a designer dog, a purebred is well, a pure bred dog, no other breed mixed in.

I'd search for a hybrid because that's what you'll likely find in the shelters. :)

Aug 5, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Ok I'm going to try it again and let you know what I find :D If you care at all :rolleyes:

Aug 5, 2009, 12:53 PM

Ok I got 76 results!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pets and Babies [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I'm expecting my first child in February and I was was wondering if any of you guys had some advice on how to make things happy and safe for all of my family members, including the ones with four legs. For those of you who may not be too familiar with me my household contains 3 dogs...

Sims Pets [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I have the Sims Pets game and I frequently play it on my Wii. I have become annoyed because one of my Sims wants always says "give a pet a bath". I buy a bathtub, put it in the house,& click on it, but the only option is "take a bath", which would mean my Sim would be taking...

Pets - skinny pig [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I get a skinny pig from?

CA - No Pets Law [ 1 Answers ]

I have been doing research online and I noticed in NY, that if a tenant has a pet for longer than 3 months and the landlord is aware of it and the landlord does not enforce the "no pets" terms of the lease than the tenant can keep the pet for the length of their tenancy. In the state of California...

View more questions Search