Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Haha, no just get asked a lot of questions and have a good memory :D
    Yes ,you know your stuff and congrats on becoming an expert ! Three cheers for Shazz!

So I am not stealing this thread,I will add that adopting a *mutt* is also a good idea because very often a pure breed will carry the genetic coding for whatever particular problem that breed suffers from.
    I know how you feel about German Shepherd's but my pure breed had a worse case of dysplasia because of his pure breeding as opposed to my German shepherd mix.
    The good traits of the German Shepard were passed on to my mutt but the bad ones were not.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 02:24 PM

Thanks Arty :D I was very happy when Ben granted me my magical powers.

While it is true that mutts supposedly have the "hybrid vigor" it isn't always true.

The odds of a genetic disorder being passed on are reduced (such as things like PRA or dysplaysia) but there are a lot more physical problems.

If say you crossed a dacshund with a pug.
    Dacshunds are well known for their back problems due to their elongated spine.
    Pugs are known for their protruding eyes and can have a lot of eyes issues.
    Mix the two together and you could not only end up with one of those problems, you could end up with both.

It's a catch 22, both have problems. Both pure breds and mutts.

The myth that cross-breds are healthier is purely a myth though.
    They do both have problems but I tend to find reputable breeders who do genetic testing before mating the dogs to be more reliable. It is the backyard breeders who skimp on the testing that cause the trouble.

Not only that but a lot of the tests are relatively new, so people who owned a purebred with problems say 20 years ago, will have the mindset that they are unhealthy, when really, there were just no tests for it back then.

Anyyyyyway... Off my little soapbox.

Wasn't putting you down Arty, it was just that my mum and I had this conversation only a few weeks ago, so it has been playing on my mind for a while :D
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 02:25 PM

Now I'm going to bed before I get myself ito trouble :)
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Aug 4, 2009, 02:27 PM
    I agree with Just Dahlia and shazamataz, adopt one from the Humane Society.
    They usually have way more pets then pet stores.

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joyluo1999 View Post
    I agree with Just Dahlia and shazamataz, adopt one from the Humane Society.
    They usually have way more pets then pet stores.

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    It's not the amount of animals that matters, it's where they come from.

Pet stores are usually filled with poorly bred puppy mill dogs. Those dogs live in horrible conditions, most of the puppies will be sickly. No legitimate breeder sells their animals to a pet store, it simply isn't done.

The dogs in the papers are usually from backyard breeders, they're just as bad as puppymills, only on a smaller scale. These people have no idea what they are doing, only the females and her pups suffer.

Legitimate breeders breed to better the blood lines, they do genetic testing, they properly care for the dam and the pups, they have years of experience. Even when selling their pups for $2000 a pop (or pup ;)) they usually don't make a profit, most of the money goes into the proper care and breeding of these pups.

Having said all that, I love shelter dogs. Not only are you saving a life, you're supporting a great cause and you usually end up with a dog that's your match in every way.

The humane society here takes a lot of precautions to make sure you're not buying a dog on a whim. They also match the dog to your lifestyle as best they can.

You may not find the right dog for you the first time, but eventually you will.

Getting a dog is never something you should do on a whim, you have to put a lot of time and care into choosing a dog that you will be able to live with. Dogs can live 12 plus years, you need to be prepared to make that commitment. Vet checks when needed, shots once a year, more for the first year of a puppy. Neutering/spaying if it hasn't been done at the shelter. Food, collar, registration (yearly) you name it.

It's not cheap, so check out all the costs involved before bringing home your forever fur friend.

Of course we'll need pictures once you get him/her, that's not negotiable. ;)

Okay, I'll post pics of mine. Twist my rubber arm. ;)

Indy, my 14 year old lab mix. Friends dog had babies, don't normally condone getting a dog from an oops litter, but we fell in love.
    Attachment 22936

Jasper, my 8 year old border collie mix. Shelter dog, we got him at 4months of age, he was badly beaten, thin as a rail and didn't trust anyone. Now he's a big softie, cuddly, sucky baby.
    Attachment 22937

Chewy, my purebred beagle. We got Chewy from a reputable breeder that we found online. She still emails me once a month to see how Chewy is doing. She does it for the love of the breed. Beagles are great, because breeders have managed to keep the blood lines very clean, as a result they don't have many health defects passed down to them. Sadly, because of this, they are the dog of choice for animal testing. :(

Attachment 22938

That's my dog family. I'd show my other animals but I'd need 3 posts. ;)
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Aug 4, 2009, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    It's not the amount of animals that matters, it's where they come from.

Pet stores are usually filled with poorly bred puppy mill dogs. Those dogs live in horrible conditions, most of the puppies will be sickly. No legitimate breeder sells their animals to a pet store, it simply isn't done.

The dogs in the papers are usually from backyard breeders, they're just as bad as puppymills, only on a smaller scale. These people have no idea what they are doing, only the females and her pups suffer.

Legitimate breeders breed to better the blood lines, they do genetic testing, they properly care for the dam and the pups, they have years of experience. Even when selling their pups for $2000 a pop (or pup ;)) they usually don't make a profit, most of the money goes into the proper care and breeding of these pups.

Having said all that, I love shelter dogs. Not only are you saving a life, you're supporting a great cause and you usually end up with a dog that's your match in every way.

The humane society here takes a lot of precautions to make sure you're not buying a dog on a whim. They also match the dog to your lifestyle as best they can.

You may not find the right dog for you the first time, but eventually you will.

Getting a dog is never something you should do on a whim, you have to put a lot of time and care into choosing a dog that you will be able to live with. Dogs can live 12 plus years, you need to be prepared to make that commitment. Vet checks when needed, shots once a year, more for the first year of a puppy. Neutering/spaying if it hasn't been done at the shelter. Food, collar, registration (yearly) you name it.

It's not cheap, so check out all the costs involved before bringing home your forever fur friend.

Of course we'll need pictures once you get him/her, that's not negotiable. ;)

Okay, I'll post pics of mine. Twist my rubber arm. ;)

Indy, my 14 year old lab mix. Friends dog had babies, don't normally condone getting a dog from an oops litter, but we fell in love.
    Attachment 22936

Jasper, my 8 year old border collie mix. Shelter dog, we got him at 4months of age, he was badly beaten, thin as a rail and didn't trust anyone. Now he's a big softie, cuddly, sucky baby.
    Attachment 22937

Chewy, my purebred beagle. We got Chewy from a reputable breeder that we found online. She still emails me once a month to see how Chewy is doing. She does it for the love of the breed. Beagles are great, because breeders have managed to keep the blood lines very clean, as a result they don't have many health defects passed down to them. Sadly, because of this, they are the dog of choice for animal testing. :(

Attachment 22938

That's my dog family. I'd show my other animals but I'd need 3 posts. ;)
    Awww, your dogs are so cute.

Joy
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Aug 5, 2009, 06:34 AM

Shazamataz I sent you a message

Aug 5, 2009, 06:44 AM
    Altenwig your dogs a cute :D Didn't know you had so many animals. I would love to have a puppy, a kitten, and a hampster lol.

I am so ready for the commitment of having a dog. I call it practice before having a baby :p even though I have my niece and "almost born" nephew for practice lol. Just something I always wanted

The Humane Society doesn't have the type of dog that I want. I went online and looked but I think that if I were to actually go in there I may see another puppy that I like.

Could anyone tell me all the names of the small dogs that don't get big? I know that there are Yorkshire, Toy Poodles, Malteese, Chiwawa... I know I didn't spell that right lol

Aug 5, 2009, 06:51 AM

Thanks Rex! I'm sure I will
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotPotato2009 View Post
    Shazamataz I sent you a message
    Seen and replied :)
    Thanks for the info, there are several rescues I found, check them out and let me know if you need any more.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 07:27 AM

There are a lot of small breeds, it really depends on what sort of dog you are after.
    Some require a lot of grooming, others are very hyperactive..
    Just take your lifestyle into account before you select one.

Higher maintenance (grooming)
    Lhasa Apso
    Shih Tzu
    Yorkshire Terrier
    Toy and Miniature Poodle
    Peikingese

Medium maintenance
    Australian Silky Terrier
    German Spitz
    Japanese Spitz
    Papillon
    Japanese Chin

Low maintenance
    French Bulldog
    Bulldog
    Chihuahua
    Dacshund
    Miniature Pinscher
    Boston Terrier
    Jack Russell
    Schipperke
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 07:30 AM

These are very sweet little dogs and you don't see many around:

The Japanese Chin
    Attached Images

Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 07:43 AM

Definitely from a Shelter or Humane Society. I've looked through posts form other members, went through the links about puppy mills they provided, and you can trust me, these puppy are not being looked after properly. The more people buy them, the more puppies they'll take there. Not buying puppies from them (the people practising that awful act) is the sole way to discourage the practice.

Aug 5, 2009, 08:03 AM

I would like to get one that likes to play of course cause I am a very playful person when it comes to pets. I don't mind grooming. Of course not 24/7. Just as much as I groom myself is good. He or she can be groomed when I get groomed lol
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:21 AM

Lol
    If you can give any dog a brush once a day that is great.
    Especially for the longer coated breeds, the less often you brush them the more work it will be in the long run because they will matt.

My poodles just get theirs ears and tail brushed once every couple of days and a clip every 6-8 weeks.

Aug 5, 2009, 08:25 AM

Once a day before bed sounds good to me lol. I think I can handle that. I don't have kids at the moment so it should be all right.

That pic of the Chin that you posted... is that your dog?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:29 AM

No HotPotato. Shazzy's got 2 Poodles, and one or two great Danes, which are from her mother if I'm not mistaken :)
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Thanks Arty :D I was very happy when Ben granted me my magical powers.

While it is true that mutts supposedly have the "hybrid vigor" it isn't always true.

The odds of a genetic disorder being passed on are reduced (such as things like PRA or dysplaysia) but there are a lot more physical problems.

If say you crossed a dacshund with a pug.
    Dacshunds are well known for their back problems due to their elongated spine.
    Pugs are known for their protruding eyes and can have a lot of eyes issues.
    Mix the two together and you could not only end up with one of those problems, you could end up with both.

It's a catch 22, both have problems. Both pure breds and mutts.

The myth that cross-breds are healthier is purely a myth though.
    They do both have problems but I tend to find reputable breeders who do genetic testing before mating the dogs to be more reliable. It is the backyard breeders who skimp on the testing that cause the trouble.

Not only that but a lot of the tests are relatively new, so people who owned a purebred with problems say 20 years ago, will have the mindset that they are unhealthy, when really, there were just no tests for it back then.

Anyyyyyway... Off my little soapbox.

Wasn't putting you down Arty, it was just that my mum and I had this conversation only a few weeks ago, so it has been playing on my mind for a while :D
    I hear you hon.I trust your judgment.Years ago a vet told me this but I am sure it was before the area of genetics became more popular and now they can weed out the unwanted trait.Pretty soon we will be having Super Dogs! I stand corrected :)

Aug 5, 2009, 09:16 AM

Oh OK thanks unknown.. lol
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotPotato2009 View Post
    Once a day before bed sounds good to me lol. I think I can handle that. I dont have kids at the moment so it should be alright.

That pic of the Chin that you posted.... is that your dog??
    No, not mine, I wish he was, he's gorgeous ;)

No problem Arty, I'm not saying mutts are unhealthy, just that the people that breed them don't realise what physical problems they could be making.
    Obviously with two breeds like say a labxshepherd there wouldn't be the physical problems, but both breeds can be prone to hip problems...

Makes my head spin :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pets and Babies [ 7 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I'm expecting my first child in February and I was was wondering if any of you guys had some advice on how to make things happy and safe for all of my family members, including the ones with four legs. For those of you who may not be too familiar with me my household contains 3 dogs...

Sims Pets [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I have the Sims Pets game and I frequently play it on my Wii. I have become annoyed because one of my Sims wants always says "give a pet a bath". I buy a bathtub, put it in the house,& click on it, but the only option is "take a bath", which would mean my Sim would be taking...

Pets - skinny pig [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I get a skinny pig from?

CA - No Pets Law [ 1 Answers ]

I have been doing research online and I noticed in NY, that if a tenant has a pet for longer than 3 months and the landlord is aware of it and the landlord does not enforce the "no pets" terms of the lease than the tenant can keep the pet for the length of their tenancy. In the state of California...

View more questions Search