Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicolos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Renters rights
    I went to give my 30 day notice, my landlord handed me their 30 day notice form to fill out. One option on the form was that they will do the carpet cleaning for $60. I checked yes. We both signed this contract. Almost 3 weeks later I got a bill for them replacing the entire carpet. I went to confront them and they said their carpet guy said it couldn't
    Be cleaned and then HE replaced it. The same guy. He made $2000. Instead of $60. The carpet had some water spots and I'm positive it would have come out. They never cleaned it to see if it would and I wasn't given the option to clean it. I don't think it's fair that I am being charged after we signed a contract stating that they would clean it. If I had known they were going to have a carpet seller come in and so no he couldn't clean it, I would have cleaned it myself. They were charging me 80%, but knocked it down to 40% because of all the issues I had over the year. Amazingly enough that 40% brings us to a zero balance on the deposit. I think they broke our contract? What do you think?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2009, 01:06 PM

Take the owner to Small Claims Court. You will both bring your proof and the Court will decide. The owner cannot simply recarpet the apartment because he wants to. He will need to prove that the carpet was stained and the stains could not be removed.

The owner most probably will countersue you for the total cost of replacing the carpet and, again, the Judge will decide.

This is not a moving and storage question and should be moved to the legal thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters rights [ 1 Answers ]

What are the new renters rights regarding foreclosure in Florida?

Renters rights [ 2 Answers ]

Can a disabled person be evicted from a rental condo. If so, how much notice do they give you.

Renters rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in the same place for 3years and now the owner is selling the property. What happens if the property is bought and I move, does the new owners pay me my deposit back that I paid to the old owner, or how does that work?

Renters Rights [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Hoping someone can help. I have rented the same house for the past 6 years. My landlord has just recently sold my house I was renting. I now have to relocate pay all moving costs, Am I responsible to pay him September rent when the house was sold in August. He did not inform me of the house...

View more questions Search