Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dawnistrue Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Executrix selling home
    Hi,
    Both of my parents passed away in 2006. I am executrix of their estate. I have two sisters, one of which has caused extreme problems along the way. The will states that upon the death of my parents, we are to sell the home and split the proceeds.
    My question: The home has been on the market for 2 1/2 years. I recently got an offer and have agreed and signed a contract. As executrix, do I HAVE TO inform my sister before the closing? I am POSITIVE she will try to put a hold on the sale as she has had attorneys writing me letters of craziness that my sister and I are tired of. My fear is that after FINALLY getting a buyer, she will ruin the sale. We have unfortunately had to take much less for the home because of the market. I am unable to keep up the monthly taxes and bills as the estate acct. is almost cleaned out. Please Help!!

Another question: My sister also owes over 30,000 dollars to be paid back to the estate as my father requested. She has denied the amount, of course, however, how would I do that reimbursement to the estate fairly?
    Thank you for any help you can give me on this painful issue.
    Sincerely, DawnMarie
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnistrue View Post
    ... As executrix, do I HAVE TO inform my sister before the closing? ...
    No, normally not, unless the probate case is a "supervised administration"

Quote Originally Posted by dawnistrue View Post
    ... how would I do that reimbursement to the estate fairly?
    Let's do an example.

There are three of you, A, B, and C. C owes $30,000. The proceeds from the sale of the house are $300,000. That is the net value of the estate (no other assets, the estate account is spent.) I believe it would be done like this:

Assets:
    proceeds from house $300,000
    due from C $30,000
    total assets $330,000

Distribution
    A $110,000 ($330,000 divided by 3)
    B $110,000 ($330,000 divided by 3)
    C $80,000 ($330,000 divided by 3, minus $30,000)
    total distribution $300,000
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2009, 12:14 PM

As executrix, you have a fiduciary responsibility to process the estate fairly and ethically. Therefore, if the bad sis feels you haven't done so, she can have her attorney sue you.

Whether she will win or not depends on whether you can prove you acted correctly. So, if you do not inform her of the sale (which you are not required to do) she can sue you. I would then counter sue her for attorney costs for defending against a frivolous suit.

As for dividing up the estate see AK's example

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Selling home [ 1 Answers ]

Hello; I have a house in Maryland near Baltimore. I have had it on the market for 1 year now and I am getting bids $20-30K below what I owe on it. Can I sell the house for less than what I own and pay the Mortgage Company the remainder without hurting my Credit?:(

Selling my home [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to sell my house back to the bank.. im current on the payments and it has been on the market for about 4 months. I need help! Is this the same as giving the deed back?

Selling your Home [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to sell your home if it is named in your bankruptcy?

Selling home [ 1 Answers ]

I realize I ask this question earlier in the wrong place. Is it possible to sell your home if it is listed in your bankruptcy?

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

View more questions Search