Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2003, 08:46 PM
    Partitioning Problem
    Hello
    I could really use some help on this one please I am stumped and do not know what to do from here.
    I have a computer that was partitioned two ways.
    The first partition was win 2000 ntsf.
    I deleted it and was able to create a primary dos partition.
    My problem is when I display partition information it shows me a second partition, status A, ext dos, 9068 mbytes, no system named and 69% usage.
    Below this is states the extended Dos partition contains logical dos drive,would I like to display the logical drive info(y-n).
    Then the screen shows no logiical drives defined Total extended dos partition size is 9068 mbytes if I answer Yes or no.
    When I try to delete extended dos partiotion I get
    Cannot delete extended dos partition while logical drives exist.
    I do not understand what is going on
    If I need to define the logical drive how do I do it as nothing I try through fdisk seems to help me.
    Thank-you for your time I hope I have explained things enough but If you have any more question feel free to ask me.
    As Always ;-) Joe
    computerguy_86 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2004, 02:55 PM
    Re: Partitioning Problem
    When you post again, tell exactly what you want when it's all said and done. e.g.
    Partition Status Type Vol. Lab. Mbytes System Usage
    C: 1 A PRI DOS 19571 FAT32 100%
    If you could post a few "PrintScreens" that would be most helpful. Or leave me a message and I will give you my email so you can email them to me. Hope to be helpful in the future. Also, does your computer still work? And can you boot up into an operating system?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 29, 2004, 07:30 PM
    Partitioning Problem
    If all else fails, write zeros to the drive and repartition it from scratch.

Take that step with caution if you have a retail-assembled system, as the assembler might have put some stuff on the beginning of the drive. :)
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 5, 2004, 07:01 PM
    Usually if you get a message like that its because the conditions you need to have in oder to perform such an operation have not been met. It's been a long time since I've used fdisk or any other ppartitiong programs, I just keep the ones I have and dualboot linux and windows XP. Anyway, if my memory serves me correctly, you have to remove all the logical drives from the extended partition before you can delete it. The first partition shuodl be fine, but if you hae another partition, say a drive d:, you may need to delete the partition for it before you can delete the extended partition. Hope that helps.
    Braden101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2004, 01:30 AM
    Hey, I only reecently learnt how to partition the hard drive. I have had a couple of problems. The best thing I found to do was to out in your o?s disk and go to new installation. It wall install for a while and when it has rebooted once a screen will come up asking what partition to save to. Just dlete the partitions you don't want and ancel the installation or you can go through with the installation and start fresh.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Playboy girlfirend problem.. Real problem [ 14 Answers ]

I have this new girlfriend.. that I really, really like (more than any other). She seems really nice... she was wearing everything of the "playboy" (earrings, bag, shirt, etc, etc) brand name / merchandise. I thought it was cute and a one time thing. Until I saw her bedroom.. It was 100%...

Partitioning [ 6 Answers ]

How do I partition my computer I have a 180gb hard drive

Formatting/partitioning an external drive [ 1 Answers ]

Having troubles w/formatting my external LaCie drive. Drive is empty - I just want to split it in 3 or 4 partitions. Disc utility is quitting on me. I'm running OSX. What else can I use to format my drive? :confused: 24 hours and not even 1 reply!! :mad: What kind of forum is that?

Partitioning the hard disc [ 2 Answers ]

I have 40 gb hard drive.AT present I have only one partition. Iwant to make three partitions , How to do it. Please I want step by step. Thanks

View more questions Search