Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joelsdad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 06:23 PM
    My wife took my child out of state, I live in Texas.
    I'm in the Navy, stationed in Dallas Texas, and have been there since August of 08. This past April, my wife left me, and took my child with her to Florida, where her mother lives. She left under the pretense of returning. She left to go to her grandfather's funeral. Did she break any Texas or Florida laws? What recourse do I have?

Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 06:27 PM

No, she is free to travel with the child. I would ask why you have not done anything before now, if she left in April?

So you file for divorce, file for custody, and demand ( though court) that she either return with the child to Texas, or merely let the child return to you.

The longer you let her stay and get residence in Florida, the greater the chance she can file in FL and there is nothing you can do then
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 10:02 PM

You should act immediately and file an action in your local Texas court for a custody determination. This can be part of a divorce action or, in many places, you can simply maintain an action to determine your rights to custody without seeking a divorce or legal separation.

Please keep in mind that you must act within 6 months of the departure of the mother and child. If you wait beyond 6 months, jurisdiction over custody of the child will shift to Florida and you will have to go there to have that issue decided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving out of state with child in Texas [ 2 Answers ]

In Texas, what is the penalty if the wife moves out of state with the children with out telling the husband?

I live in Texas (H1B) and wife in NY (F1 Student) - File taxes jointly? [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before - but I was unable to find it in the forums. I am a foreign citizen on an H1B living in Texas. Since I have been here in the US long enough, I am a resident for tax purposes, and have filed as such for the past few years. My wife...

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

Leaving State Texas with Child [ 4 Answers ]

My stepdaughter left the state of Texas with my grandson. She is married but they've been separated for awhile now. There is no custody agreement in place nor is there a divorce. Neither parent has filed for divorce. She got fed up and moved to Oklahoma. Can she do this or is this considered a...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

View more questions Search