Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsBoznos Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 06:13 PM
    We have had an ongoing problem with a slow kitchen drain. My husband has been using a "drain king" (drain ?) for almost a year. A week ago the aging "king" separated from the nozzle on the hose and is stuck approx. 4 to 5 feet in the elbow of the pipe. Have called out 2 "roto rooter" type plumbers to get it out and it will not budge. One plumber has a $5000. Solution, anyone here have any ideas? Not sure what to do or who to turn to... all help appreciated

Forgot to mention that when they snaked it they put about 4 different bits on the end and none worked. Is the corkscrew looking one call and auger. Regardless it did not retrive the part that got stuck in the pipe. Is there anything else they might use?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 07:06 PM

Your house must be built on a slab.

Aug 3, 2009, 07:53 PM
    Yes it is on a concrete slab. Home is approx. 40 years old! Thank you

Aug 3, 2009, 08:24 PM

Since the "drain King is probably stuck in the first turn and I don't have Marks fancy tools, for $5000 (or to save $5000) I would either;

A: Dig down on the outside and tunnel under the footer to get to the pipe. It's probably close to the exterior wall right?

B. Remove the sink cabinet or cut out the bottom, rent a chipping hammer and go thru the floor to the first turn.

Any possibility of finding where drain goes into stack and going in from that way with snake and pushing "drain King" back up pipe. Its probably wedged at the turn and would come back easier than pushing through.

Mark
    I don't think you should have deleted your post. Too much heplfull information there. Please repost.

Aug 3, 2009, 08:51 PM

Going to run these solutions by my other half and let you know how it goes... will check in tomorrow and see if anything new! Thank you soooooo much!!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2009, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBoznos View Post
    We have had an ongoing problem with a slow kitchen drain. My husband has been using a "drain king" (drain ?) for almost a year. A week ago the aging "king" separated from the nozzle on the hose and is stuck approx. 4 to 5 feet in the elbow of the pipe. Have called out 2 "roto rooter" type plumbers to get it out and it will not budge. One plumber has a $5000. solution, anyone here have any ideas? Not sure what to do or who to turn to.... all help appreciated

forgot to mention that when they snaked it they put about 4 different bits on the end and none worked. Is the corkscrew looking one call and auger. Regardless it did not retrive the part that got stuck in the pipe. Is there anything else they might use?
    You say they used a number of auger tips and still couldn't pull it back?
    This is what's stuck,(see image) right? Did they use a retrieval bit, (see image) or a small auger to attempt to pull it back? This object is made of neoprene that can be augured into if you put enough muscle into it.
    Forget the $500 repair. A good man with the right auger tip should be able to drill into the neoprene and pull it back.
    I have a question. Why was the Drain King so far down the drain line?
    You only had to run it up the trap tail for it to work. 5 feet is almost to the sanitary tee in the stack. Just curious. Tom

Aug 4, 2009, 05:27 AM

Tom, that's a $5000 solution.

My next suggestion was going to be what I think you would have said, "snake it from the vent". You loose some of the ability to put pressure behind the snake as it makes a lot of turns.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Harold,
    I was under the impression that the Drain King was caught in the horzontal drai in the wall. Where does it say they went down a vent?
    MSBoznos, What did you put the Drain King down? The wall stubout or the roof vent? Cheers, Tom

Aug 4, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Hubby put the drain king into the clean out trap, outside
    The house, directly adjacent to the kitchen sink. I may
    Have over estimated the length it went in. Plumber said
    He is guessing it is caught in the bend of the pipe. The
    Picture showing the auger tip looks very much like the
    One they used. They used others as well, all they had
    With them... man using the snake was a very large man
    And appeared to be apply a lot of muscle behind it.

Going through the vent on the roof might fix it?
    Thank you for your answers...

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Since the "drain King is probably stuck in the first turn and I don't have Marks fancy tools, for $5000 (or to save $5000) I would either;

A: Dig down on the outside and tunnel under the footer to get to the pipe. It's probably close to the exterior wall right?

B. Remove the sink cabinet or cut out the bottom, rent a chipping hammer and go thru the floor to the first turn.

Any possibility of finding where drain goes into stack and going in from that way with snake and pushing "drain King" back up pipe. Its probably wedged at the turn and would come back easier than pushing thru.

Mark
    I don't think you should have deleted your post. To much heplfull information there. Please repost.
    This sounds a lot like what he suggested, price tag was between $3ooo.-$5000.

Having my Grandson come over today to take a look and will show him all your
    Suggestions. Thank You so much, will keep you posted!

The plumber came out again this morning, he bought a new auger much bigger than the one he used yesterday, he got the "drain king" out in about 45 seconds. Whoooopeeeee!!
    This man's determination made my day! Many thanks to all of you for your idea's... MsB
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 4, 2009, 11:09 AM
    You're entirely welcome! We're just glad you got The object removed. Now go purchase a hand held snake and forget the Drain Kings and Clog Blasters.
    What they don't mention is that they're useless if there's a vent upstream from the blockage. Good luck and if we can ever be of servcice in the future, just ask. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tying 2" drain pipe to perpendicular 3" drain line under slap [ 3 Answers ]

I want to avoid a 90 degree bend under slab. However, I have to reduce from the 2" pipe that drains the WM to the 3" main drain line, and the reducing tee I find has a very small sweep. Do I need to use a reducing combination wye and is there such thing?

Yard King "clutch" adjustment [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Yard King riding mower Model 465615x99A with a 18HP Kohler engine and a Peerless VST205 trans axle. It seems to pull okay in reverse but doesn't go anywhere when I attempt to climb any angle of grade. I have tried to adjust the "clutch" on this mower by following the instructions in the...

80's Burger King Commercial "Aint nothing but the Real Thing Baby" [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find the 80's Burger King commercial that has the slogan "Aint nothing but the real thing baby" It's a commercial for their chicken tenders! It has teenage girls in a phone booth eating them, then a husband with Christmas gifts bringing some home for his family. It...

View more questions Search