Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    temp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Filing for Full Custody
    Hi my name is Tempestt Moore, I'm 19 and will soon be a single mother. I am needing some very desperate and helpful information. How do I go about filing for full custody of my baby and having his father relinquish his parental rights? I am needing help with this because I don't know how to exactly go about the legal process and who eaxactly I need to reach.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 21, 2006, 05:49 PM
    These are two separate issues. If the father won't relinquish his rights, you can't force him to. You don't have to do anything about custody unless the father wants to have custody or visitation. At that point, you will need to get an attorney to help you in family court.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2006, 12:19 PM
    Why do you want the father to relinquish his parental rights? Custody is yours unless the father contests you for it. Being the mother gives you an edge if that happens. However, you can't compel him to relinquish his parental rights. If you have or plan on applying for public assistance they will compel you to pursue the father to have an order for child support established. Simply writing him out of the picture won't be an option. If he wants visitation, he'll have to petition the Family Division of the Superior Court for your county of residence, with proof that he's the dad, either in the form of a DNA test or a signed affidavit, thereby paving the way for him to be responsible for paying child support and to assert his paternal rights. At this point, other than filing for an order of child support, your position is mostly reactive, consisting of responding to any petitions he may file with the court regarding his paternal rights.
    arhouston Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Jul 3, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Your young how did this happen to u. don't put him on the birth certificate give your child your last name don't do anything (court wise yet) unless he wants to do something

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I ask for full custody? [ 51 Answers ]

My son is 3 months. I was never married to his father. His father has 4 felonies and a criminal record that is 35 pages long. He has had an addiction to cocaine since he was 19 and he is now 31. Since I have known him he has not been clean for more than 3 months. He has been through rehab at...

Which is better settle in full or paid in full [ 20 Answers ]

I had a discover card opened when I was a young adult with my father(about eight years ago). As of a 18 months ago he stop paying on it even though the charges were made by him. Now I'm trying to take a step towards business ventures and this and some other things are on my credit are present. I...

Filing for custody in nh when living in VT [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine recently found out he has a 6 yr old son, the mother moved when they broke up never telling him she was pregnant, and never notifying him when the little boy was born that he had a child! All of a sudden he got a summons to court for child suppot... the child support has been...

Full physical custody and vacation laws in CA [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have full physical custody of both my daughters. My ex-husband is extremely irate with me because he now has a lien against him for unpaid child support. I am taking the summer off work and I'm planning on taking my daughters from California on a trip to Oregon for 3 weeks to visit...

View more questions Search