Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Aug 3, 2009, 02:37 PM
    connecting stereo receiver to 50" plasma panasonic TCP50X1
    I have a stereo receiver with no optical digital audio cable connection. How can I connect it to my Panasonic TCP50X1? The guy at panasonic said I could try going through a VCR??
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Aug 3, 2009, 09:23 PM

Just use the analogue audio outputs from the TV to play its sound through your receiver!

Daniel

Aug 4, 2009, 12:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
    Just use the analogue audio outputs from the TV to play its sound through your receiver!

Daniel
    Name:  P333-4282-call09-jfwd.jpg
Views: 12293
Size:  115.4 KB
    There aren't any analogue outputs. This is a picture of the connections on the back of the plasma.

Aug 4, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Patty,

Oops, sorry! I assumed it was a 'good' TV receiver. Does your stereo receiver (brand/model?) have a coax digital audio in (S/PDIF)? If not, probably time to upgrade to a modern receiver! (If it does, you could use a Toslink to coax converter.)

Daniel

Aug 4, 2009, 05:37 PM
    Patty,

Oops, sorry! I assumed it was a 'good' TV receiver. Does your stereo receiver (brand/model?) have a coax digital audio in (S/PDIF)? If not, probably time to upgrade to a modern receiver! (If it does, you could use a Toslink to coax converter.)

Daniel
    Here's a pic of the back of the stereo receiver:
    Name:  Insignia.jpg
Views: 10784
Size:  42.6 KB

Aug 4, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
    Here's a pic of the back of the stereo receiver:
    Name:  Insignia.jpg
Views: 10784
Size:  42.6 KB
    Here's a pic of the side of the TCP50X1:
    Attached Images

Aug 4, 2009, 07:28 PM
    Patty,

You're doing well with your inserted photos – they are very helpful in addressing your problem!

But sadly, the labels on your last picture are incorrect. Those side connectors are audio inputs, not outputs. Refer to page 43 of the Operating Instructions, which clearly show an arrow from a connected camcorder pointing in to the TV sockets.

Sadder still is that your picture of the stereo receiver rear shows no digital inputs of any sort.

Like the Panasonic guy said, you could buy a VCR/DVD-recorder or similar that had a digital audio input and analogue audio outputs, and feed that to your stereo (this would possibly be fiddly, with an extra piece of equipment having to be turned on and set in a certain mode to 'pass-through' the audio), but to my mind your money would be better spent on a surround receiver with Toslink audio input(s). Doesn't have to be new or expensive – peruse eBay for a bargain.

Daniel

Aug 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Patty,

You're doing well with your inserted photos – they are very helpful in addressing your problem!

But sadly, the labels on your last picture are incorrect. Those side connectors are audio inputs, not outputs. Refer to page 43 of the Operating Instructions, which clearly show an arrow from a connected camcorder pointing in to the TV sockets.

Sadder still is that your picture of the stereo receiver rear shows no digital inputs of any sort.

Like the Panasonic guy said, you could buy a VCR/DVD-recorder or similar that had a digital audio input and analogue audio outputs, and feed that to your stereo (this would possibly be fiddly, with an extra piece of equipment having to be turned on and set in a certain mode to 'pass-through' the audio), but to my mind your money would be better spent on a surround receiver with Toslink audio input(s). Doesn't have to be new or expensive – peruse eBay for a bargain.
    Daniel
    Thanks for the information. I purchased a Pioneer VSX-519V-K and a Samsung DVD-VR375. I also got an optical cable. Any suggestions on the best way to connect all these components? I want to listen to the TV through the receiver and also DVD's. I have ceiling speakers and want all my sound to come through them.
    Thanks Again,
    Patty
    Name:  Pioneer VSX-519R.jpg
Views: 18399
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  Samsung DVD-VR375.jpg
Views: 13186
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  P333-4282-call09-jfwd.jpg
Views: 8895
Size:  115.4 KB

Aug 5, 2009, 10:34 PM
    Patty,

That should be easy with the equipment you now have. I just wish all users of this service were as thoughfull as you – many don't even supply a brand/model number, let alone pictures of the connectors, yet expect someone to tell them how to hook-up A to B to C, etc!

I copied your photos and created the attached diagram, which should help in hooking it all up. You'll need two HDMI cables in addition to the Toslink (optical digital audio) cable you already have.

The images are pretty low-resolution, so in case it's not too clear, here are the required connections:
    HDMI from Samsung HDMI OUT to Pioneer HDMI BD/DVD IN
    HDMI from Pioneer HDMI OUT to Panasonic AV IN HDMI 1
    Toslink from Panasonic DIGITAL AUDIO OUT to Pioneer OPTICAL IN2

To watch TV and listen through your surround receiver, select DVR/VCR input on the Pioneer (and of course 'TV' as the INPUT on the TV). To watch a DVD and listen through the surround receiver, select BD/DVD input on the Pioneer and HDMI 1 as INPUT on the TV.

I hope this solves your problem. If not, give us another yell!

Daniel
    Attached Images

Aug 6, 2009, 12:57 AM
    Patty,

That should be easy with the equipment you now have. I just wish all users of this service were as thoughfull as you – many don't even supply a brand/model number, let alone pictures of the connectors, yet expect someone to tell them how to hook-up A to B to C, etc!

I copied your photos and created the attached diagram, which should help in hooking it all up. You'll need two HDMI cables in addition to the Toslink (optical digital audio) cable you already have.

The images are pretty low-resolution, so in case it's not too clear, here are the required connections:
    HDMI from Samsung HDMI OUT to Pioneer HDMI BD/DVD IN
    HDMI from Pioneer HDMI OUT to Panasonic AV IN HDMI 1
    Toslink from Panasonic DIGITAL AUDIO OUT to Pioneer OPTICAL IN2

To watch TV and listen through your surround receiver, select DVR/VCR input on the Pioneer (and of course 'TV' as the INPUT on the TV). To watch a DVD and listen through the surround receiver, select BD/DVD input on the Pioneer and HDMI 1 as INPUT on the TV.

I hope this solves your problem. If not, give us another yell!

Daniel
    Thank you so much Daniel! I don't have HD service so can I still use the HDMI cables to connect. I do have a bunch of RCA cables. How would I use those?

Aug 6, 2009, 04:12 AM
    Patty,

HDMI is a general digital interface for video and audio, not specifically just for high-definition. So yes, the HDMI connections will work and will give you the best quality picture and sound.

That said, if you don't want to rush out and buy some (possibly expensive) HDMI cables, you could get by in the interim with analogue (RCA) cables, if you don't mind the slightly lower quality.

In terms of analogue video quality, the cables that give the best result have the video portion (yellow RCA connector) thicker than the audio section (I'm talking about the 3-way A/V cables, with yellow, red and white RCA connectors). If you only have audio RCA cables (twin, red & white), you could press one into service for video too, but the video quality will suffer even more.

The attached diagram shows the analogue connections that should work. Again, I'll spell them out in case the picture isn't clear. Because I can't show a white cable on a white background, I've use grey to represent white. Also, the cables aren't usually coloured all their length as I've shown, but are usually black or grey on the outside, with just the connectors coloured yellow/red/white.

A/V RCA cable 1:
    Ye from Samsung AV OUT VIDEO to Pioneer DVR/VCR VIDEO IN
    Wh from Samsung AV OUT AUDIO L to Pioneer DVR/VCR AUDIO IN L
    Rd from Samsung AV OUT AUDIO R to Pioneer DVR/VCR AUDIO IN R

A/V RCA cable 2:
    Ye from Pioneer DVR/VCR VIDEO OUT to Panasonic VIDEO IN 1 VIDEO
    Wh from Pioneer DVR/VCR AUDIO OUT L to Panasonic VIDEO IN 1 AUDIO L
    Rd from Pioneer DVR/VCR AUDIO OUT R to Panasonic VIDEO IN 1 AUDIO R
    Toslink from Panasonic DIGITAL AUDIO OUT to Pioneer OPTICAL IN1

To watch TV and listen through your surround receiver, select CD-R/TAPE input on the Pioneer (and of course 'TV' as the INPUT on the TV). To watch a DVD and listen through the surround receiver, select DVR/VCR input on the Pioneer and VIDEO 1 as INPUT on the TV.

Daniel
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 04:33 AM

In hindsight, I guess this adapter would have worked in the first case. Gefen | GTV-DIGAUD-2-AAUD Digital to Analog | GTV-DIGAUD-2-AAUD

Aug 6, 2009, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    In hindsight, I guess this adapter would have worked in the first case. Gefen | GTV-DIGAUD-2-AAUD Digital to Analog | GTV-DIGAUD-2-AAUD
    Thanks for the info. It's still good that I upgraded to a better receiver and I needed a DVD recorder to record all my VHS home movies onto DVD anyway. I'll keep that adapter in mind if I get another HD TV.
    Thanks,
    Patty

Aug 6, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Patty,

HDMI is a general digital interface for video and audio, not specifically just for high-definition. So yes, the HDMI connections will work and will give you the best quality picture and sound.

That said, if you don't want to rush out and buy some (possibly expensive) HDMI cables, you could get by in the interim with analogue (RCA) cables, if you don't mind the slightly lower quality.

In terms of analogue video quality, the cables that give the best result have the video portion (yellow RCA connector) thicker than the audio section (I'm talking about the 3-way A/V cables, with yellow, red and white RCA connectors). If you only have audio RCA cables (twin, red & white), you could press one into service for video too, but the video quality will suffer even more.

The attached diagram shows the analogue connections that should work. Again, I'll spell them out in case the picture isn't clear. Because I can't show a white cable on a white background, I've use grey to represent white. Also, the cables aren't usually coloured all their length as I've shown, but are usually black or grey on the outside, with just the connectors coloured yellow/red/white.

A/V RCA cable 1:

A/V RCA cable 2:

To watch TV and listen through your surround receiver, select CD-R/TAPE input on the Pioneer (and of course 'TV' as the INPUT on the TV). To watch a DVD and listen through the surround receiver, select DVR/VCR input on the Pioneer and VIDEO 1 as INPUT on the TV.

Daniel
    Thanks Daniel!! I will eventually get the HDMI cables but I have the RCA cables I need. Spent too much money on electronics this month. Not too many women get excited about LARGE TV's and sound but I don't shop for shoes and purses... rather go barefooted!
    I guess I could have gotten this converter but $67 plus shipping is better spent on new equipment!Name:  Digital to analog converter.jpg
Views: 2593
Size:  10.1 KB
    Thanks Again,
    Patty

Aug 6, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Patty,

I agree that your new equipment was a better choice than the adapter KISS found (he's clever at finding useful stuff like that).

Though I downloaded user manuals for your equipment, I missed the fact the Samsung is a recorder (I jumped straight to the connections pages!). I hope you realise that you won't be able to record TV programs on that recorder because your TV doesn't have a video output connector. All you'll be able to do is transfer your VHS tapes to DVD, and watch tapes and DVDs.

Also, because the pioneer has both digital and analogue inputs for DVR/VCR, you may need to do some setup on the Pioneer to select the analogue inputs rather than the digital ones. But the manual doesn't speak about this, so I'm guessing it has auto-sensing, and switches automatically according to the signals received.

Daniel
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:29 PM

How right you are. But, it's unlikely that one would want to record the same program that they are watching because you would have to power up the TV at the same time.

What we don't know is if this is connected to digital cable with the settop box having it's own video outputs. Warning, I heard that even if the connector is present there is no guarantee that the signal is. HDMI preserves copy protection. Not sure about component video. Composite (lowest quality) generally does not.

Aug 13, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Patty,

A/V RCA cable 1:

A/V RCA cable 2:

Daniel
    I hooked everything up and I can't even get sound out of the receiver when it's on tuner.
    I have 4 speakers in the ceiling(2 front-left and right- and 2 rear-left and right) What is the best connecton for me to make on the back of this receiver for my speakers? What am I doing wrong? I have always had a TV hooked up to the receiver but there are sooooo many buttons and controls and... HELP!!
    Attachment 23392
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 12:24 PM

Patty, the attachment didn't make it.

Aug 13, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keepitsimplestupid View Post
    patty, the attachment didn't make it.
Views: 2378

I have 4 ceiling speakers and my other receiver front left and right and rear left and rt connections. Where do I connect the front and rear speakers? I did a sound test on the phone with pioneer and there is sound but can't get an fm channel to play through them.

Aug 13, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
Views: 2378

I have 4 ceiling speakers and my other receiver front left and right and rear left and rt connections. Where do I connect the front and rear speakers? I did a sound test on the phone with pioneer and there is sound but can't get an fm channel to play through them.
    I'm about ready to take this receiver back to Best Buy. Why does it have to be so complicated? I hooked up my other receiver and got sound from all 4 speakers and a radio station. I might just get that converter for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to use for contact cleaner for stereo receiver? [ 4 Answers ]

My home stereo speakers are sometimes fuzzy and can be fixed by twisting the speaker balance knob back and forth quickly a few times. I think the contacts need cleaning (does this sound logical?). If so, is this difficult to do? How should this be done (it doesn't seem as though it should be too...

Panasonic plasma 42" TV TH-42PZ80U menus pop up on their own [ 1 Answers ]

Just bought Panasonic plasma 42" TV TH-42PZ80U. Menus pop up on their own at random and block the picture. Then the remote control can't close the menu. The menu scrolls through the options on its own. Often things get selected off the menu on their own. Tech came by did several resets. Had...

Connecting my panasonic dvd recorder, direct TV hd receiver and my hdtv [ 5 Answers ]

I try to connect my hd TV, panasonic dvd recorder and hd receiver , but I couldn't , I want able to record programs in my dvd recorder.Can someone please help me step by step how to set done this. I have: Olevia lcd hdtv Connections: Hdmi Component s-video Rca

Panasonic plasma TV [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 42" panasonic TV, yesterday the screen went blank. When I plug the TV in I here a whining sound, then when I turn it on it clicks then the power light flashes seven times

View more questions Search