Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    H_King85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Being Selfish
    My girlfriend and my mother have now both told me that I am self-centered or should I say selfish. I don't see this because I am always thinking about other people. The only way I can see this in anyway is I use relations with "I" to topics. I don't want this ruinning my relationship. I feel this is changeable. How do I go about not showing/being so selfish?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 03:02 PM

More info please.
    merissam Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2009, 03:11 PM

I think you should say all of the time you haven't been self centered.and then ask them about the times that you were self centered and say that you didn't know and your sorry for them thinking that you were trying to be (:
    merissam Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2009, 03:11 PM
    I meant times you haven't been self centered.
    Torrid13 Posts: 637, Reputation: 149

Aug 3, 2009, 03:18 PM

You definitely need to ask them about the areas you need to work on... otherwise, there's not enough information for us to really help you out.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 07:42 PM

I agree with the others be open and ask them to give you some examples of things you do that make them feel this way.
    LifeChangesMan Posts: 329, Reputation: 39

Aug 3, 2009, 07:48 PM
    How about next time you go to start a sentence with I, substitute it with some sort of animal, for example instead of, " I do everything perfect." you could go with, "Penguins do everything perfect" or "Spider-Monkeys do everything perfect."

Just an idea.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeChangesMan View Post
    how about next time you go to start a sentence with I, substitute it with some sort of animal, for example instead of, " I do everything perfect." you could go with, "Penguins do everything perfect" or "Spider-Monkeys do everything perfect."

Just an idea.
    Er, what? How bizarre. I sort of like the suggestion because it's like something out of Monty Python's Flying Circus ( the parrot did it not me! ), but I'm not sure how it will assist him to focus on others rather than himself.. . his family might just end up calling the men in white coats...
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 10:51 PM

I believe he was using sarcasm to prove a point.
    To make it more serious.

Original; self-centered: I think we should go to the movies.
    After changing his style: Do you want to go to the movies?

Think it's good advice, but needed a more relatable way to say it.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 04:49 AM

Ask them what areas you need to improve on this way you can go into it with information on what to improve.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 04:57 AM

It is changeable and I would have said perhaps it was a misunderstanding but when Mom AND the G.F. agree,its time to pay attention.
    Ask them to be specific and to give you examples of what they mean.
    In the future,try to include others in conversation and truly listen.
    People who are self centered generally don't honestly listen and appreciate others input.
    It is not something I think can be faked so look at why you behave this way to really get to the crux of the issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think he's selfish [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone help? My husband's dad recently had a stroke and has now unfortunately had to go into a nursing home. Before he had the stroke, I strongly urged my husband to visit him more often seeing he lived on his own. My husband gets to see him in the summer and at christmas time. To...

Would it be selfish? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, here's the thing. My girlfriend and I have been going out close to a year. (9 months and twelve days to be exact.) and today is my birthday (I turn 22) and I was wondering if I hypothetically if I were to ask her if she were ready to have sex, would that make me look like "one of those guys"...

Am I selfish? [ 5 Answers ]

I am doing a lot of soul-searching these days after a bad breakup. I always had considered myself to be a very giving person, because I agreed to move when my ex wanted to move and I felt it was a big sacrifice. Looking back, though, I think I held a grudge for doing this for him and then I was...

Am I being selfish? [ 14 Answers ]

We've been married for a little over 3 years now (no kids). My wife brings home work to do a lot which takes up the majority of her energy each day. This basically means not much gets done unless I do it. I cook, I clean, I pay the bills, and pretty much do everything else. We've talked about...

Selfish, self-centered boyfriend=selfish, self-centered husband [ 6 Answers ]

My husband has done many things to hurt me. To begin, he lied about who he was when we were dating. We were young and in college; he pretended to not smoke, get drunk, and go to church regularly. Thus, we seemed to have so much in common. We talked for hours; he swept me off my feet with...

View more questions Search