Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjknapik Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Intermittent AC startup
    My upstairs ac unit won't startup when the temperature is above 82 and attic humidity is high. The thermostat seems to work OK. On cooler/dryer days/nights the unit starts-up fine. Could this be a blower run or startup capacitor issue? The control unit was replaced 2 yrs ago.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Aug 3, 2009, 12:55 PM

Blowers usually have run caps not start caps... could be a blower motor issue. Coule be a wiring or power issue... would need more info. Might want to call a tech out to check it too.

Aug 3, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Appreciate your response. So you think it might be a wiring short or power interrupt? Unit is a ComfortMaker RPJII Model GUI050A012BIN. In the evening when T-stat timer calls for AC nothing happens, no inside blower, no outside blower. The next morning when temp/humidity is down same ac request, runs fine. In the meantime there were no power resets (OFF/ON) at the unit or at T-stat. Also, when the unit isn't work setting the blower from AUTO to ON at T-stat does nothing. When unit is working setting blower from AUTO to ON turns on blower as expected.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Aug 3, 2009, 01:39 PM

Yea I would have it looked at. If it is a 24 volt problem they can be tricky and hard to find.

Might try pummling wires from tstat. Make yourself a diagram. Cut the wires back and make fresh connections. This might help. Might not.

Aug 9, 2009, 05:50 AM

Found it. Not jiggling wires or bad connection! Clue, blower will not turn on from t-stat in either ac or heat mode when attic unit temp goes above mid-80's. Replaced blower motor run capacitor and all is well. $5.20 not a $300+ tech service call!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tempstar Furnace Intermittent Startup [ 17 Answers ]

We have a natural gas-fired Tempstar furnace that sometimes will not start-up. It is controlled by a setback thermostat. In the morning it normally fires up fine for the first heating cycle, but usually gets "stuck" on the second cycle. By stuck, I mean we get a yellow flame (coil heating up?) for...

Hp startup [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Folks I have an HP Laptop that is now inlimbo Upon startup it goes to the HP screen We have a mouse but no icons When you shut it down for restart a screen appears that is it hibernating and then shuts down Any ideas Thanks >Moved from Forum Help<

JD Startup [ 2 Answers ]

I have inherited a JD L130 without a manuel. I can't seem to crank it. It turns over well, the parking brake is on and it's full of gas and oil. This mower is only 6 months old and has been sitting up for that time. It has been used only a few times. Please help. Without a manuel, I'm not...

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

View more questions Search