Ask
    shaunna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Getting rid of squrial in roof
    Get rid of squrial in roof
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 09:35 AM

Kill it

Poison gas is a good option.. be SURE to retrieve the body or you'll get insects

Or

Use a racoon trap and then drown it in the carrier
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 09:50 AM

Where do you buy poison gas?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Didn't you see the article about the guy mixing up bathroom cleansers and getting chlorine, Judy?

Shauna, DON'T try to gas the squirrell. Your first step is to find out how it got into your roof (attic?). Then you need to find out when it goes out to get food. Some go at night, some at dawn. While it's outside, block the entrance.

If you can't tell when it leaves, get a live trap and set it in the attic space and close the entrance. Bait the live trap with some apple slices and acorns.

If you don't block the entrance, nothing will work.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Didn't you see the article about the guy mixing up bathroom cleansers and getting chlorine, Judy?

Shauna, DON'T try to gas the squirrell. Your first step is to find out how it got into your roof (attic?). Then you need to find out when it goes out to get food. Some go at night, some at dawn. While it's outside, block the entrance.

If you can't tell when it leaves, get a live trap and set it in the attic space and close the entrance. Bait the live trap with some apple slices and acorns.

If you don't block the entrance, nothing will work.

I know other people have made their own poison gas - and gassed themselves in the process.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dont treadonme View Post
    kill it

poison gas is a good option.. be SURE to retrieve the body or you'll get insects
    Seems like this would be harmful to not only the squirrel but to the people living inside
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I know other people have made their own poison gas - and gassed themselves in the process.
    Future Darwin Award winners.
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 02:07 PM

Every year I seem to read in the newspaper that some in NY State tried to smoke wasps or hornets out of his eaves and in the process burned his house down.

Maybe that would be another good use for poison gas.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 02:11 PM
    I learned this from my mentor , Catsmine: find out where the squirrels are getting in, and block the entrance. In the meanwhile, get some mothballs and spread them around up there, along with paprika. You can get both, cheaper, at a "dollar store", if they are available in your area. If you can get a trap up there, that's great. But the mothballs and paprika worked for me. Also, I wrapped every tree in my yard, for the time being, with flashing. It's sheet metal that comes in rolls. Good luck to you.

*************** additional info **********************

Block up the hole at NIGHT, when the critter leaves, like Catsmine says.
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 02:14 PM
    If you do it right it's called fumigation. For some infestations it's the only thing that works. Wrap your building in tarpaulins and release the gas. Let it penetrate for 24 hours, then ventilate the building for 48. Normal prices start around three grand and go up from there. Seems a little much for one squirrell, doesn't it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Flashing Roof Vent on Flat Roof [ 14 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install some ventilation in my flat roof. I've decided to go with this system: Flat Roof Top Attic Ventilation. It looks perfect for my application. I've done some research on how to install the fan, including on a couple other forums, but have a couple of unanswered...

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

Metal Roof over existing shingle roof ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hurricane Andrew & Gustav has convinced me to put a metal roof. I'm too old to keep patching shingles. I'm undecided : on using treated 1 x 4 lats directly over shingles (parallel to ridge), screwed to rafters and metal screwed to lats or

Attach gable roof to flat roof [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a three season attached screenroom. We are uncertain how to attach the gable roof to the present roof (gabled in the opposite direction, so the attachment is on the flat side). We have spent hours trying to locate do it yourself instructions and can only find do it yourself kits...

View more questions Search