Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaleMM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Gold ring marking
    My wife has an old gold diamond ring which might have been her father's. The only marking on the ring (inside the setting) appears to be "AVTV" but it's too small to be sure we're reading it right - and we were using a magnifier. Is anyone out there familier with a mark like that?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 08:37 AM

Could it be initials of a husband and wife?
    Like Albert V and Teresa V
    DaleMM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Could it be initials of a husband and wife?
    Like Albert V and Teresa V
    My bad - upon further inspection with a stronger magnifier, it's stamped (deeply stamped):

10KP AVIV but that "I" still could be a "T". My wife has no recollection of any family members whose last name began with a "V".
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 3, 2009, 10:07 AM

It probably says 10KT (karat), not 10KP, denoting the gold content in the ring. The AVIV might be the makers mark.
    janejohndoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 12:57 PM
    My ring has the same markings, except mine is Definitely 14KP AVIV, my husband and I bought them at Zales 23 years ago.
    briolette Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

Oct 31, 2010, 11:01 AM

Additionally, with regard to KP vs KT:

PLUMB GOLD is a term used to describe gold jewelry that contains the precise amount of gold in the alloy that the Karat mark indicates. In the past, an item marked 14Kt could legally have been 13.5 karat and still considered 14K. Today an item marked 14k must be at least 14 of 24 parts fine gold and is considered plumb gold. In some instances manufacturers have marked their jewelry 14KP meaning plumb, but inadvertently have confused the public that believed the 14KP mark meant gold plated. "

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marking on an 18cy gold Ring [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All Hope someone can help, I have a ring I was about to sell on eBay for scrap but before I do can anyone tell me what the marking on it mean. It is stamped 750 which I think is 18ct gold and has a star shape and beside it the number 457 VI (*457 VI). I should mention there is a green stone...

Diamond shape marking on an antique gold ring, what is the symbol for? [ 4 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I have an older lady friend, that has had a ring for many years... with a diamond shape marking on the inside of it... & would like to know what the marking represents... Is it a brand or the amount of gold in it... Thanks... mjharlow

Marking on a gold ring [ 1 Answers ]

My husband just bought me this ring overseas: it has 3 different markings on it... FU 750 (which I believe is 18k gold) but what is FU? S0 25 D0 25 The ring is white gold band with what we believe is sapphires and diamonds.

Gold marking ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gold colored earring that has a marking on it S5.18, does anyone know what it is?:)

View more questions Search