Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    megdvm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 12:31 PM
    Blue-green water staining
    There is a marked Blue-green stain that develops in the shower stall, less so in the kitchen and bathroom sinks. I'm assuming it is a reaction triggered by the hot water. I'm also asking not just because it requires more cleaning, but my hairdresser says that it also creates a layer on my hair! What causes it, what is it doing to the pipes, and would any of the shower filters work to decrease the amount coming through? We're on well water and have an inline sediment filter in place.

Thanks,
    Megdvm
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Hi Meg,
    How old is your house? Copper pipes? Any work done on them lately? Do you flush your water heater on a regular basis? You may have mineral build up that's entering your pipes. Waiting on you. Tom
    megdvm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Thanks for replying, Tom,

No recent work has been done on the plumbing that connects with this issue. The house is 55 years old, does have copper pipes, and we use a water source heat pump that we put in 16 years ago. We've been in it 28 years and in my memory this didn't always happen so maybe it links to that event. The hot water heater is electric with the heat pump cycling warmed water through it every time it runs, decreasing the frequency that the heating element turns on. My husband says it is constantly being flushed by this action. Previously, we used a oil fired hot water heater.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Meg
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 21, 2006, 02:07 PM
    Hey Meg,
    I was wondering if solder flux,( That's the color it turns)from a recent repair could have got in the system but you shot that down. So let's look else where.
    "The hot water heater is electric with the heat pump cycling warmed water through it every time it runs, decreasing the frequency that the heating element turns on. My husband says it is constantly being flushed by this action."

I hate to bust hubbys chops but that's not correct. Since the water system's a closed system all you're doing is recycling everything. Let me show you how to flush your heater.
    First attach a hose to the boiler drain and open up the valve. With the pressure let it run until it runs clear. You may see a spurt of red,(iron oxide) or some white or yellow grains, ( sulfur or calcium carbonate) when the water runs clear then you're done. This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. I would also check the house filter. Let me know. Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2006, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Meg,
    I was wondering if solder flux,( That's the color it turns)from a recent repair could have got in the system but you shot that down. So let's look else where.
    This almost sounds like a pH problem, even mildly acidic water can lead to corrosion in brass and copper fittings, pipe and fixtures -- And 'blue green' staining is indicative of copper and/or brass corrosion.

Check this out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior concrete staining [ 1 Answers ]

How can I stain outdoor concrete patio slab. For a warm stain look. Tips?? :cool:

Knocking Hot Water Heater & Blue stuff [ 7 Answers ]

My Water Heater is Knocking pretty loud for the last 10-12 months... I'm trying to figure out if this is ready to die and I should replace it before it does. It's 6 years old, new with the house and it's got a 6 year guarantee. About 6 months ago I drained it. The water was clean, but I...

Blue Moon [ 2 Answers ]

I've been trying to find out who owns the yacht Blue Moon since it was featured in a TV documentary.

View more questions Search