Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simpson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Getting 110 from 220
    I have a 3-wire 220V going to my well house. I am wanting to come off the 220 to a 110 outlet. I realize this is not the safest thing to do but it is only temporary.
    My question is, I know I use one wire so I cut let's say the white wire and connect it to one side of this GFI outlet, Do I connect the other end of the white wire to the other side of the GFI to get the 110? The 3rd wire is a solid copper wire and does not appear to even be connected anywhere onto the well connections but I am not sure if that is a "ground wire" or a "neutral". Can anyone tell me how I do this so I don't screw things up please?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
    First it would appear you have no idea, so my best answer is don't do it.

220 wiring has three wires, two "hot" wires at 110 each and one ground wire. To get 110 you merely use one of the hot wires and the ground wire.

I will say this as to why do you want to do this, what are you going to run, is it going to run at the same time as the 220 well pump,
    In general my best advice is to use a professional if you are not trained and have knowledge in what you are doing.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2006, 01:13 PM
    There is no neutral, the white wire you want to cut is 120 volts, the other is 120 volts , and across both is the 240 volts. The third wire probably is suppose to be the ground for the well motor or casing.

The GFI will not work properly.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
    This is not permitted. The GFI detects and trips on ground current and your scenerio involves creating 120V by using the ground for current.

A good alternative would be to use a portable generator or an extension cord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Water heater 110 or 220 [ 10 Answers ]

Looking to buy a kenmore 20 gallon water heater.110 has 2000 watt element 220 has 4000 element.I was told either way they will use the same amount of electric just the 220 will heat up more quick .Is this the case.I ask because sister said she had a 110 dryer once and electric went through the...

110 vs. 220 wiring... [ 7 Answers ]

I bought a table saw at an estate sale. I got a good deal on it! I noticed after I got the saw home (I looked at it before I bought it, but didn't look close enough) and realized the plug appears to be a 220 plug. This won't work for me as I'm limited to 110; I'm a renter. The plug has 3...

Why are these readings and not 110? [ 13 Answers ]

I have taken the experts advice and borrowed a digital multimeter. I tested the red wires and they read 54.9, the 2 white with the black wire was 0 and the 2 black were 54.9. So with having 2, 3 way switches, if I connect the blue to the black which is the light and the black to the red, and the...

110 v plugs [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to connect a 3 pin plug( UK) to a cable from USA? I need to know which is live and which is neutral. Thank you

View more questions Search