Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    serbear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 12:01 AM
    Im not in love with my Fiancé!
    It has been 3 years since we first set eyes on each other, at the start everything was great! Moved in together started saving for the future and even talked about how many kids we were going to have.
    We then thought it would be the right time to get engaged and start our new lives together.
    4 years on now and I am having second thoughts as I don't believe I am in love with him anymore.
    I not only hate going home but can't seem to find myself wanting sex with him anymore! He is really obsessive, always looking through my phone, asking me every hour "whats wrong". I have never been unfaithfull and to him thinking I might be really hurts. I don't drive (im 27) due to medical reasons so its hard for me to get away when I need "a break". I know if I end our engagement I will not only break his heart but my family would be really disappointed.
    I feel I can't explain my feelings because he would beg me to stay and crying will only make me feel worse.
    What my question is: Should I just bite the bullet (so to speak) and tell him how I feel and hope something changes? Or should I end it now before its to late?
    destiny12296 Posts: 8, Reputation: -2

Aug 3, 2009, 12:08 AM
    Try talking to him first and than if something goes wrong go for a divorce.:)
    serbear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 12:08 AM

Thanks destiny, were aren't married yet! Ill try talking :)
    taoplr Posts: 415, Reputation: 144

Aug 3, 2009, 12:14 AM

Tell him and immediately schedule couples counseling with him. If you are truly done, it will come out in a therapy setting with the support of a professional, and in the best possible way. If you had health changes, are bored, are having trouble settling down, you can resolve all that. You owe both him and you that much.

The "what's wrong" pattern is a living hell, like living with a ghost. Tell him.

Tao
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 12:47 AM

All I have to add, is if you 100% for sure do not love him, then do not marry him. It will be a mistake, for both of you.
    emerylynnlove Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2009, 01:27 AM

You do what you feel you need to do, you can't make yourself fall in love but before you walk out try thinking back to what it was that you did fall in love with him for and then remember some of the things you use to do together and redo them, figure out what it is that makes you not want to be with him anymore and as far as sex try spicing things up go buy some toys, lotions, oils anything that looks fun to you and try it then see how things go if none of that works then its better to end it then get married and be unhappy
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Aug 3, 2009, 02:56 AM
    People get married for all kinds of reasons. You need to figure out why you want to get married. I've started a list for you:

GET MARRIED because:
    I don't want to disappoint my family
    I don't want to break his heart

DON'T GET MARRIED because:
    I don't believe I am in love with him anymore
    I hate going home because I don't want to have sex with him
    He's really obsessive

Your reasons for wanting to stay engaged are based on what other people might be thinking. You don't know that for sure, so you could be wrong. It sounds like you really don't want to get married to this person, but you don't want to break up either.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 03:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by serbear View Post
    It has been 3 years since we first set eyes on each other, at the start everything was great! Moved in together started saving for the future and even talked about how many kids we were going to have.
    We then thought it would be the right time to get engaged and start our new lives together.
    4 years on now and I am having second thoughts as I dont believe I am in love with him anymore.
    I not only hate going home but can't seem to find myself wanting sex with him anymore!! He is really obsessive, always looking through my phone, asking me every hour "whats wrong". I have never been unfaithfull and to him thinking I might be really hurts. I dont drive (im 27) due to medical reasons so its hard for me to get away when I need "a break". I know if I end our engagement I will not only break his heart but my family would be really disappointed.
    I feel i can't explain my feelings because he would beg me to stay and crying will only make me feel worse.
    What my question is: Should I just bite the bullet (so to speak) and tell him how I feel and hope something changes? Or should I end it now before its to late?
    Do not get married. At the least, postpone. This is a life changing event. Don't make a huge mistake. Good luck.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 03:36 AM
    This may be a blessing in disguise, and a situation that, if you ignore, will leave you miserable.

You realize you don't love him. That is your call, and only your call. While your family, and he will be upset, maybe even angry, disappointed, and confused, that will pass. You are all adults here.

It may be time to have time on your own place, and some distance from him until you are sure of what you want to do. To stay with someone you do not love, and no longer wish to be married to for the next 50+ years, is just prolonging the inevitable. It is also not fair to him, because he is hanging on hope that you will be together forever.

The bottom line here is, this is your life. If there is no future and love in the picture, it is time to move on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 08:01 AM

Doesn't sound like your ready for marriage. Not to him any way. Tell him the truth and take some time for yourself. If you can't resolve the issues you have now, marriage won't help at all.
    inertia Posts: 308, Reputation: 60

Aug 3, 2009, 10:26 AM

Just to give her some food for thought in this process.

You act insulted that he thinks you are cheating, but you won't touch him and he can probably sense your resentment for him. I'll bet he's asking his friends "what are the signs someone is cheating?"

This emotional distancing crap looks like cheating on the other side of it. Now, I'm not saying you should stay with him, but don't get angry when he can't properly read your mind.

Does he ask if you want to break up? I bet he does. What's your answer? Is it something like "I don't feel like talking about it".

I think you are less worried about hurting him (because you already are) and more worried about him hating you. Well, that's the name of the game. When you dump someone, they get to hate you. It won't be easy, but it never is.

You owe him an honest dialogue. Yes he will probably argue and beg, maybe even call you names. In a way, it's your fault for not being open with how you have been feeling. So it will be somewhat of a shock and he will act irrationally.

Learn from this and in the future, communicate (even if it hurts your partner).
    Dornraben Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Oct 3, 2010, 01:48 AM
    Just to give her some food for thought in this process.

You act insulted that he thinks you are cheating, but you won't touch him and he can probably sense your resentment for him. I'll bet he's asking his friends "what are the signs someone is cheating?"

This emotional distancing crap looks like cheating on the other side of it. Now, I'm not saying you should stay with him, but don't get angry when he can't properly read your mind.

Does he ask if you want to break up? I bet he does. What's your answer? Is it something like "I don't feel like talking about it".

I think you are less worried about hurting him (because you already are) and more worried about him hating you. Well, that's the name of the game. When you dump someone, they get to hate you. It won't be easy, but it never is.

You owe him an honest dialogue. Yes he will probably argue and beg, maybe even call you names. In a way, it's your fault for not being open with how you have been feeling. So it will be somewhat of a shock and he will act irrationally.

Learn from this and in the future, communicate (even if it hurts your partner).

I wish my g/f had read this post a few months ago! I'd be interested to find out what happened to your story, serbear...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Am I in love with my fianc? [ 4 Answers ]

In a few months I'm going to get married to my fiancé who works in a bank. Now the problem is that it is going to be a settled marriage for me. My fiancé is not so handsome looking, so most of my relatives are quite in shock that why did I choose this man to make him my life partner. Various people...

I still love my ex-fiance how do I tell her? [ 7 Answers ]

First a little background. Me and my ex lived together for about 4 1/2 years. We had a good relationship but we were both drug addicts. Finally, she left me and went to treatment to get sober. I decided I would do the same thing. She is back in my home town in Texas and I moved to Atlanta, GA to...

Is my fianc? Gay or doesn't he love me? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 26 (almost 27) years old. I have been with my boyfriend/ fiancé (who knows) for 6 years. He has introduced me to his family and includes me in all family events. He calls me first thing in the morning, a few times during the day and also at night just before bed, he never says much though....

FiancŽ and love or not? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I agree with you LBP. I have been doing the easy thing. The quick fix. It's a very immature thing but I know I do this in my relationships. Rather than go through the pain and hurt and so forth I just want out. Over. You know? I think, maybe it has something to do with my dad's death. I...

I don't love my fianc? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I have made another huge mistake. Although this time I stayed single for over a year before getting into another relationship. Now I am in a relationship that I don't want. I find myself engaged but I know I can't live with this man for the rest of my life. I struggle to live with him day...

View more questions Search