Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Smile4life22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Shoplifting in Texas
    THREE weeks ago, I was detained for switching a price tag from $18 to $5. The security caught me on a tape as they said, I didn't get banned from the store, they called the police and they gave me a Class C Misdemeanor, Theft (Shoplifting). I have to go to the court within 10 days, but today I received a letter demanding that I need to pay $300. It says that the payment of any demand made upon does not prevent criminal prosecution under a related criminal statute provision and the payment many not be used in any court proceeding by our client as an admission of liability.

Do I need to hire a lawyer to remove it completely from my record as I have to take care of some paperwork with the immigration at this time? This is my first time offense of any kind.

I was wondering what the best course of action is at this point. For example, what are the chances that the case get dismissed? Also, would this effect my job in any kind especially I have to have a full background check every year?

Any other advice would be more than welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2009, 05:25 AM

A. Does the paper say any date due that they are requiring you to pay because I would show it to a Lawyer before I paid it. Not that you wouldn't be required to pay it but you need legal advice before you do pay it. Then even though it says does not prevent criminal prosecution and many not be used in any court proceeding by our client as an admission of liability I would still have it brought to the Judges attention. I have heard other people say that a store charged them $300. And then the court charged them another $300. And said they should not have paid the store.

B. They most likely would not remove it from your record or leave it off your record. Typically your first offense with no prior record you would have to go a year or so without getting in any trouble then you can go back to court and ask for it to be expunged.

You will likely have to take a class on shoplifting.

The best thing to do is get a lawyer and he will know best what you need to do.

Remember shoplifting does not pay off in the long run.
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 09:51 AM
    I was detained for switching a price tag from $18 to $5.
    today I received a letter demanding that I need to pay $300

This is a common practice. You are in for some heavy handed treatment

I was wondering what the best course of action is at this point.
    Stop stealing

Stop thinking about stealing

Offer to make restitution in writing.

For example, what are the chances that the case get dismissed?
    Unlikely

would this effect my job in any kind
    It depends on your employment contract

If future applications contain a "have you ever been convicted of a crime" you will have some problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoplifting in Texas [ 10 Answers ]

Hi guys! I have an extremely important question. I hope someone can help me. About 20 years ago, my Mom was arrested for shoplifting. It happened in a small Tx town during an election year. As you can imagine, this small town pounded the heck out of my Mom, despite it being a first offense....

I lived in NY and NJ and Texas, I lived in Texas for longest period. More background: [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have several questions regarding how taxes were taken out of my paycheck. First some background: A) I lived in NYC from July 14 - October 5 (Just short of 3 Months) B) I lived Jersey City, NJ from October 5 - November 7 (1 Month) C) I lived in Fishkill, NY from November 7 -...

17 year old caught Shoplifting in Willliamson County, Texas [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is 17 and was just caught shoplifting in Williamson County, Texas. They took her to jail overnight and she's to meet with a judge in the morning. I'm not familiar with the Texas Laws, or the Williamson County laws for shoplifting. This would be her first offense. So I have a...

About shoplifting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my sister and I went shopping at JcPenny's. We went in the same dressing room together and while I was trying on clothes she slipped clothing in her bag and my bag. We owere stopped when coming out of the store and the people took us to the back and they told her that she would get papers in the...

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

View more questions Search