Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    503person Posts: 57, Reputation: 11

Aug 2, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Computer won't boot
    Our laptop won't boot in normal mode, only in safe mode. About a week ago it was downloading a windows update and when it restarted to complete the updating it died. He didn't have it plugged in (my boyfriend, its his laptop) So, it started the laptop in safemode, and went to system restore to start it from the last saved restore point. When I do that an error message comes up saying the vista64 file on c: is corrupt and needs to be fixed before it can be restored. When I click the link to fix the error, it says it can not fix it while the c drive is in use, and that it will fix it the next time the computer is booted. So, I shut it down and boot it back up, and again it won't load in normal mode, only in savfe mode. When I try to load it in normal mode I get the little loading icon that comes up when loading the os (vista) but it doesn't go beyond that. When I boot it up in safe mode it comes up. I ran the disk cleanup, and I tried to run the defrag but it wouldn't open. I also could not get the antivirus (onecare) to run either. We're thinking we might just have to completely reinstall the os, but of course, we'd like to not have to do that. If course my silly boyfriend has not made any recovery disks or backup or anything. And there is only one restore point offered. It's a asus laptop, new (bought it 8 months ago, and no there's no warranty or insurance on it, yet another silly move) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    chikid68 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2009, 06:23 AM

First off make sure that when attempting to start it in normal mode while letting it repair its self that you give it several minutes as sometimes it can take a little while to replace all the corrupt files as well as make changes in the windows registry.
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 07:48 AM

We're thinking we might just have to completely reinstall the os
    This time install an OS than can address enough ram to correctly operate :P

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer does not boot [ 2 Answers ]

:confused:When I turn on Compaq Evo on, the green power light turns on but the hdd light does not. I therefore can't boot my computer. I tried removing the ram, the computer beeped continuously, I put the ram in again, but still computer does not boot. What is wrong? How do I solve this problem?

My computer won't boot. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 6640c. That won't boot up:( I have no recovery disk for it.:( . I was just wondering if there are boot up disk for this or is there anywhere on the internet that I can download a recovery disk for it.?. Any help would greatly be appericiated. Thank you

Computer Will Not Boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Compaq Presario SR1214NX that will not boot. Until recently, the computer ran fine with two internal hard drivers installed, but then I started getting the message "NTLDR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART". In the past, this meant my hard drive boot order had somehow...

Can not boot my computer [ 2 Answers ]

Ntldr don't know what happened but my d drive with my windows xp changed to h Now when boot it says no ntldr Need big help

Computer Won't Boot Up [ 13 Answers ]

Whenever I switch my computer on it begins the startup and at best gets to the Windows XP logo and then the screen just goes black. This is the furthest it gets and most times won't even get there. If I go into BIOS the same thing happens. Any Ideas?

View more questions Search