Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poda13 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Wiring and certain jumpers
    There was a post by ACETC back on August 3rd 2007 that confirms my question, but I bypassed it by doing this and I need to know if it is safe. I just bought a house and replaced the old thermostat with a new one. The old configuration was, RH/RC jumped, White wire in O, G, Y, and blue which is cut off. On the new one I have W, Y, RH, RC, G. So on the new one I plugged into RH and jumped to RC, yellow in yellow, green in green, and white into white (since O is not an option on the new one). When I did this the unit turned on but was spitting hot air.

What I did to bypass that was jumped the Y and W together which in turn started putting out cold air. My question is, is this safe and in the winter, will my heater work?

According to ACETC he (or she) said to buy a new T-stat that works with heat pumps, the guy did that saying it worked. Thanks for any help!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 2, 2009, 10:33 AM
    My question is, is this safe and in the winter, will my heater work?

It is not correct. Buy the correct thermostat. If you have a heat pump buy a heat pump thermostat.

Aug 2, 2009, 12:35 PM
    How do I know if I have a heat pump or not? First time home buyer and not so sure about this kind of stuff? Even though its not "correct", if it works and there is no harm in doing it, then why not?

Aug 2, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    My question is, is this safe and in the winter, will my heater work?

It is not correct. Buy the correct thermostat. If you have a heat pump buy a heat pump thermostat.
    How do I know if I have a heat pump or not? First time home buyer and not so sure about this kind of stuff? Even though its not "correct", if it works and there is no harm in doing it, then why not?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 01:10 PM

The outside unit runs in heat and cool mode.
    Lookup by model number
    The presence of a reversing valve in outside unit

Buy the right thermostat otherwise the heat pump could run forever and never shut off. You might come home to a toasy house one day or a freezer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Venstar t1800 instal & jumpers. [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a Venstar T1800 thermostat in my home. I have a heating & AC system--no heat pump or any other devices. Just the furnace and AC. (California State) I checked my system with the old existing (12 years old... with mercury bulbs) Homeywell thermostat before removal & the system worked...

Wiring direction for a multi wiring system thermostat! [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 wire system (3 phase), need to connect multi wiring system thermostat! Need to know if, its correct to just use line#1, and the device already has a jumper?

John Deere - My dog ripped the wiring Out - Need Wiring Diagram or photos [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old L110 that ran fine until last week. I think my dog chased a chipmunk up under the hood and in trying to get to him ripped a bunch of wires out. I have spliced back together the obvious wires (color coded) but I have one black wire that I assume is a ground(?) and the two...

How to set master/slave jumpers [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a second hard drive to my system. How do I know where to put the jumper to make the new drive the slave? I don't have any documentation on the second drive. Is there anything else I need to do or watch out for so it doesn't screw something up? It was attached once before, but it...

View more questions Search