Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loveranger Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 07:44 AM
    How can Fraud Under 5000 affect you?
    It's my first criminal record.. and am wondering if it's going to affect my school, career, etc? Very depressed... and is there any way of erasing the record in some time?

Aug 2, 2009, 07:45 AM

I forgot to mention I live in Ontario, CANADA.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 09:25 AM

Were you accepted into the diversion program? Are you asking in advance or have you already been sentenced?

Aug 2, 2009, 10:50 AM

My court date is next month but I know I will be charged since I'm guility of what I did to make money. I'm really depressed now. My parents don't know about this and I don't want them to know.

Aug 2, 2009, 10:53 AM
    How much is a lawyer for my first court case (involving fraud under 5000)
    How much would it be to get a lawyer for my first court case next month. This involves fraud under 5000... what would the cost range from?

Aug 2, 2009, 10:54 AM

I live in Ontario, Canada...

(was going to edit my previous post but unable to do)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 11:04 AM
    You'd have to ask your prospective lawyer to find out. Typically, you're looking at a retainer fee, which could range anywhere from $500 to $5000. This is essentially an advance payment, which your lawyer will draw from as (s)he works on your case and send you periodic statements. When that runs out, your lawyer will continue to bill you on an hourly basis, typically $250 per hour.

Aug 2, 2009, 12:19 PM

$250 an hour?? Are you kidding?

Aug 2, 2009, 12:19 PM
    I don't I can afford to pay more than $500 overall for a lawyer. What are my options?
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loveranger View Post
    $250 an hour???? are you kidding?
    Nope. I wish I were, but I'm not.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loveranger View Post
    i don't i can afford to pay more than $500 overall for a lawyer. What are my options?
    I don't know about Ontario, but here in the states, if you can demonstrate need, you can receive a court-appointed attorney for free or reduced charge. But that would generally only be done if the potential consequences to you were sufficiently serious, e.g. incarceration. You say that you're charged with "fraud under $5000" so I don't know what type of potential penalty you face for such a charge. That said, you may or may not qualify for a court-appointed attorney.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 04:38 PM

Contact legal aid in Ontario - as far as the hourly rate I am not aware of any Attorney in my area who will work for less than $1,500 minimum.

Aug 4, 2009, 05:06 PM
    Is there any way of getting out of a jail sentence
    Say you get hit by a car?? Any way whatsoever? Or is it just suicide?

Aug 5, 2009, 05:15 AM

Please tell me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 5, 2009, 05:30 AM

Tell you what? If you die, then yes you don't go to jail. If you are simply injured you go to the prison infirmary.

But if you have been sentenced to jail then to jail you go.

By the way this is not a chat room. Answers are not instantaneous. You have to wait for someone to read your post and decide to answer.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 07:42 AM

Hello l:

If you commit suicide while awaiting a jail sentence, they'll make your corps do the time before they bury it.

excon
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:22 AM

You could quickly build a time machine, go back in time and NOT break the law.

Otherwise, unless you are dead or have your sentence commuted, you are going to jail.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:24 AM
    Incidentally, if you intentionally get hit by a car, you could be charged for another crime (some form of endangerment, depending on the law of your state)

Aug 14, 2009, 07:45 PM
    Could I be sentenced while studying at post-secondary?
    Could I be sentenced to jail while studying in post-secondary school? I'm a first time offender... 20 years old... for fraud under 5000 :confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 07:47 PM
    Of course you could be sentenced to jail, but it depends on what the charges are. You haven't given enough info.

Any time you commit a crime you risk jail time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fraud under 5000$ [ 6 Answers ]

I'm not even sure if this is what I think it is. Basically I'll just describe the situation. I walked into my bank yesterday with a wish to deposit my paycheck. I walk to the ABM machine and see a question on it *DO YOU NEED MORE TIME ?* I clicked yes, it prompted me to a menu of a...

Fraud under $5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have been frauded for fraud under $5000, and theft of credit card, what is the worst that will happen?

Fraud under 5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering what are the consequences of committing a fraud under 5000 in canada?

Fraud under $5000 [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I just recently got charged of fraud under $5000. I worked in a retail store and did returns on my Visa Card as an employee on my own. Now it's against company policy to do so on your own (doing return/purchase transactions on your own) but I did anyway to save time from having to...

Fraud under $5000 [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased between 25 - 30 pieces of clothing at 3-4 different stores in a short period. I ended up returning six items that I changed my mind on after I tried them on at home. I returned all the items to the one store I believed I purchased them at. I was given an instore credit for some...

View more questions Search