Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Aug 1, 2009, 01:55 PM
    Landscaping difficult part of yard
    Hey guys -- Sorry about all the posts, but I'm working on a couple of slightly related things around the house.

Last year, to help prevent basement flooding, I graded, plastic-sheeted, and dry-welled the side of my yard that would collect a lot of water (and ultimately flood my basement).

It worked well.

So, how do I landscape this area now?

There are a few issues with traditional landscaping:
    1) The plastic is about 2 inches below the surface (although some of it is washing away already).

2) The grade butts about 2-3 inches below the top of the foundation and the bottom of the siding.

3) The adjacent lot (undeveloped) is at a 3-4 inch grade HIGHER than my yard (it's on the other side of my stockade fence).

4) It's REALLY shady.

Any ideas? I'm thinking plants won't work, and grass won't work.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 08:08 PM

Not really sure what the question is here. Is it what to plant or how to grade?
    Is it possible to swail between the yards and drain towards the front or back

Aug 1, 2009, 08:56 PM

What would be a good landscaping solution given my restrictions?
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2009, 04:43 PM

What would be a good landscaping solution given my restrictions?
    I don't know your restrictions other then a water problem and no informant about slopes towards the front or back of the yard to shed water with a sawil between properties.

So far all I know is the Side yard in 3 to 4" lower then the neighbors. No distances in widths/ length of the side etc.

Aug 2, 2009, 08:08 PM

Anyone else have any ideas?

I was thinking stones or maybe pavers, but I don't really like those options.
    OutdoorLivingCn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 03:55 PM

You mentioned that the adjacent lot is a few inches higher. So long as this does not allow water to accumulate in this area then you should have no problem planting smaller plants, moss, or sod. You may even want to use planter boxes (garden boxes) on top of the ground so you have a raised area where you can plant a garden, flowers, or other plants. If you want a planter area rather than sod, make sure to use a heavier rock, bark, or soil so that it doesn't wash away being above the plastic sheeting. Our website also has a picture gallery that may give you some ideas: Photo Portfolio
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 05:56 PM

Hi outdoorLiving. Welcome to the Site. The post/thread you answered is a tad old. Look at the upper left on the post and see the dates.

I did the same thing when I started and someone helped me out.

Anyhow again Welcome to the site!!

Aug 23, 2009, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Hi outdoorLiving. Welcome to the Site. The post/thread you answered is a tad old. Look at the upper left on the post and see the dates.

I did the same thing when I started out and someone helped me out.

Anyhow again Welcome to the site !!!!

That may be true, but I appreciate the idea.

I hadn't considered doing planter boxes. If I did it that way, I could make some deeper soil, and I could pitch the boxes away from the house, remedying my drainage concern.

Cool idea. Now I just have to figure how large of a planter box I want to make. (The space is 10x30.)

Aug 28, 2009, 11:47 AM
    This a picture I found that provides a good cross-section of my yard.

Is punching holes in the polyethelene a good idea? Won't water drain through the holes and reach the basement foundation below?
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landscaping proposal [ 1 Answers ]

I have been requsted to write a proposal to a company we want to offer our landscaping services,how should I go about it?

Need landscaping software [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to find a good landscaping software, one that comes with flowers, shrubs, trees, yard features etc that can be inserted onto a digital photo. Any recommendations? Any freeware out there that can do this? Thanks!:)

Need guidance on first landscaping project. [ 2 Answers ]

So I want to spruce up the back yard and I am having problems in deciding what type of plants to go with. I have a small back yard and I wanted some smaller plants preferably at least one which is very fragrant. I would like some semi exotic looking yet easy to care for since I can be a little...

How to keep my 5 yr old lab out of the new landscaping [ 3 Answers ]

We recently put in some new landscaping in the backyard. Before the landscaping was put in my dog would always dig a hole next to the house and lay in it. Well, we now have new landscaping in this area and he is still getting into it. Thought this might be a problem so I've placed some items to...

View more questions Search