Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rappar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Change my ip
    I have a netgear wireless router and my isp is time warner cable. I want to change my ip on the wireless computer. The main computer has an AOL ip that is different from my sencond computer. Any ideas?
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 02:12 PM

IP addresses are unique to each computer. Every computer has their own IP address, and you cannot change it.

You have to get a different computer to have a different IP address.

Think of your house. You live at, let's say, 123 ABC street. You can't just say "now, my address is 321 ZYX street" it just doesn't work that way. If you want a different address, you get a different house.
    If you want a different IP address, you get a different computer.

EDIT: Well, listen to ScottGem.
    That is how it was explained to me, but he is much better at this stuff than I am. :o
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 1, 2009, 02:44 PM

Actually you can change IP addresses but only under certain circumstances. Why do you think you need to change the IP? You should have your laptop and router set to use DHCP, so every time you connect to your router you are assigned an IP address.

Your modem is assigned an IP by your ISP. This generally does not change unless you turn off the modem for several days.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Would the NPV change if the cost of capital change and why? [ 1 Answers ]

Would the NPV change if the cost of capital change and why?

A break is a change, and change is good.so why doesn't this feel good? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time posting on this site. I have read some of the responses, and I feel this site is full of very caring people. I'm just scared I'm going to get a little obsessed and check back too often. First, my girlfriend and I have been dating almost 7 months. Doesn't seem like...

Name change [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about changing my sons last name

Minor Name Change/Birth Certificate Change [ 2 Answers ]

15 year old minor, born in Marion County, Indianapolis, IN, living in WI with his dad, mom in FL--with joint custody, would like to change his name to his dad's and has both parents consent. Does this have to be filed in IN? Are there forms that the parents can fill out and file without the...

Name change [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if I could change my boy's name to my maiden name?

View more questions Search