Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgiovano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 07:01 AM
    COBRA Eligibility and Timeline
    My husband passed away on 7/22/08. Under the terms of his employers health plan, he/we were covered for 30 days after the last day of the month in which he passed away (thus coverage until 8/31/08. However, his employer enrolled me in Cobra on 7/22/08 to help prevent any lapse in coverage, effectively canceling normal medical coverage and enrolling under Cobra. The Cobra stimulus provisions under ARRA allow for Cobra eligibles to enroll back to 9/1/08 to qualify for the 35% subsidy. Is there anything I can do to qualify for the subsidy even though I enrolled in Cobra 7/22/08, but truly was eligible on 9/1/08? Any help here is appreciated, I just don't know if I have a case and who to contact about it. Thanks!
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Aug 2, 2009, 05:59 AM

Unfortunately death is specifically excluded as an involuntary loss of employment to qualify for the subsidy in the ARRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cobra eligibility [ 5 Answers ]

If an employee quits due to a reduction in salary (not hours) is he eligible for cobra?

Cobra eligibility [ 5 Answers ]

The company I was working with was closed. The health plan was terminated. I have pre-conditions sucha as high blood pressure so I'm not eligible for an individual health plan. Am I eligible for COBRA? What option do I have other than a group plan?

How long must one be on a group plan for COBRA eligibility? [ 3 Answers ]

Do COBRA regulations specify how long an employee must be on their specific group plan before becoming eligible for COBRA? Or is this determined by individual states? Is the COBRA benefit only available for 18 months?

Eviction timeline [ 2 Answers ]

My home was sold at auction yesterday. Today I came home from work to find a note from the new owner that I must be out by Monday. I thought I would have 30 days to get my things and myself out. In in VA if that makes any difference.

COBRA Eligibility [ 1 Answers ]

If I decide to quit my existing job where I Have been for 8 months and have medical insurance can I elect COBRA continuation even though I have only been there 8 months?

View more questions Search