Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swede Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2004, 03:49 AM
    Computer auto reboot once it enters windows
    Hi!

I have a Compaq Presario 5900T with Windows 98.

Last week my computer suddenly started to reboot by itself. It happens all the time. First after running 5-10 minutes and since yesterday, directly after the start-up procedure has ended. The computer works fine in safe mode. There are no warnings or error messages.

I have not added any hardware since I bought the computer 4 years ago and I have not installed any software recently.

I have reinstalled Windows several times, even formatted the harddrives before doing it, but it does not help. I have also turned off all programs that are auto-started and vacuum cleaned the power supply through the cooling "grille". Nothing changes though. The computer does not work in the normal mode and works fine in the safe mode.

Does anyone know what could be the problem or how I could isolate the problem?

cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Dec 6, 2004, 02:20 AM
    Try updating the video drivers or replacing the video card. Since the PC does not reboot in Safe Mode, then that rules out an overheating problem so the problem is definitely software related. Typically related to the video card but possibly another installed PCI card.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer Auto Reboot once it enter Windows (Regard [ 16 Answers ]

Dear Expert, I would need some experts out there to give me advice on the isuse that I encounter with my computer. Before I go on, I will actually describe my system specs first... my system is model is basically Acer Aspire 6600, running on pentium III, 1GHZ, 128 SD RAM, on board VGA and...

Using dos to turn off auto restart on error with windows 2000 pro [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to change the auto restart on error from dos with windows 2000 pro. When I log on with the imported username from the old os, (there was no password) the machine "applys user setttings" then immidiatly logs off! And asks me for the username and password and goes...

Crack in pipe that enters the wall under sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a crack in the chrome pipe that goes from the wall into the PVC that my kitchen sink dumps into. Is there a way to fix this without ripping out the wall and replacing that pipe?

Reboot PC [ 3 Answers ]

::) I just got Hp Brio ba PC. When I first pluged it in it booted up. When I shut down can't boot up. Twice I got it to boot up by unpluging it and pluging in again, pretty iffy. Any ideas for a fix? Thanks Jim. I didn't tell that I had pressed switch on front panel, Also checked switch &...

View more questions Search