Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeepjim Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 11:20 PM
    02 LTX1000 swap 42" deck for a 54"?
    I have an 02 Craftsman LTX1000, 21.5 hp, 42" deck. I have about 4 acres to mow, and the 42" works fine, but I would like to know if it's possible to easily swap in a 54", and from what mower for the 54". My model # is 917.272450.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 1, 2009, 08:24 AM

Hi,
    I did a "little" research. It was easy enough to find your frame #174619 and an "800" number - 800.849.1297.
    There four larger decks; 46, 48, 50 and 54.
    The 50 does not seem to be an option. The 46 seems to be a decent option. Let me elaborate.
    With any of the larger decks, there are other changes; some as simple as the hangers front and side for the 46, to adding lift assist spring(s) and a change in wheel/tire size that may not be an option because of possible axle diameter change.
    It would seem the 46 might be done with a complete deck (part #411232) and some other minor changes. The frame and the deck engagement are the main factors. The others seem to use elctric PTOs.
    I cannot say that it is economically feasible. It may be better to sell your old mower in the front yard (you can get more that a dealer will give you) and step up to a larger model.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    jeepjim Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2009, 10:09 AM
    Thanks again for your speedy response, and thoroughness. I hate to admit it, but I think you are right about selling and buying the bigger. I love this tractor, so finding one to replace for the right price won't be easy. Thank you again. You give such an informative answer.
    I'm new here, so is there a way I can support you, or give a good word?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 1, 2009, 12:33 PM

Hi,
    There usually is an orange box at the bottom of the answer, "Rate This Answer" that allows positive or negative comments.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deck with 2"X6" treated lumber, [ 2 Answers ]

I am using 3" treated phillips scews from Lowe's. With regards to holes , I understand that wood filler will eventually pop out. What if I use paintable GE Silicone Caulk, which stays flexible? TIA Pet41

Deck with 2"X6" treated lumber, [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process of refacing my deck with the same type of 2"X6" treated lumber that was original. I am using 3" Phillips deck screws from Lowe's. The lumber has knots and I am thinking of using Minwax or Ace wood filler to cover screw holes inperfections and knot holes prior to staining and...

Can I "Sister" new wood onto my deck joists? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a deck that is cantelivered off the side of my house the Deck is 4'8" X 21'6". I ere should I place the bolts?noticed that approximately 5 of the 22 joists are rotted at the end and the rot is from about 2 - 8 '' in length. Would it be all right to "sister" on new 2 by 8's . How many bolts...

View more questions Search