Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Beef Stew in the Crock Pot
    Does anyone have a good recipe for beef stew made in a crock pot? Do I need to brown the meat first?

I really don't need/want anything too complicated, just some veggies and a recipe that's going to yield a thick, rich gravy! What's the best way to ensure that the meat turns out tender and not rubbery or tough?

If you have a good recipe for beef stew, let me know.

THANKS!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:34 PM

I flour my meat and then brown it just a little first. My dad made the best beef stew.
    I cheat and use a bottle of au ju gravy in with it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:36 PM

Thx HoneyBunchesofHelp- Do you just lightly sear it or do you cook it all the way through?
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:45 PM

Just sear it
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:48 PM

Au is thin - will it thicken since I'd be using it in this way? And I can't say that I've ever seen bottled au jus.

What about veggies, what do you use?
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:51 PM

Flour the meat before you brown it and then add some flour to it with/according to your recipe too.
    I just can't ever get enough broth so I add.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:56 PM

I found a recipe similar to what I do but it is rather plain

CROCK POT BEEF STEW

2 lbs. stew meat in 1" cubes
    1/4 c. flour
    1 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 c. beef broth
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 clove garlic or chopped onion
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp. paprika
    4 sliced carrots
    1 can peas
    3 diced potatoes
    1 stalk celery, diced

Flour and brown meat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix. Cover and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours. Stir well before serving.

**High always burns for me
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:02 PM

I'm drooling here.I think crock pots are the best ,everything comes out tender.
    Searing on high will help keep the juices in the meat.
    If you use potatoes ,that may thicken it enough,if not I always use corn starch for thickening.
    If I'm coming over forget the peas as I am allergic :)
    I love HoneyBunchesofHelp it is so much more accurate!
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:10 PM

Ok, we can leave out the peas Artsy. I was thinking carrots, potatoes, celery, onions. What say you?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:16 PM

Potatoes, carrots, and celery are what my aunt always uses. And I love her beef strew! Onions sound like a yummy addition. Now you guys made me hungry... haha
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:19 PM

What's your aunt's recipe justcurious? How does she do her meat/gravy? Just trying to get some good ideas because I want to make it in the next week or so.

Having a busy 2 yr old, it's beneficial anytimg I can prep ahead of time and have a hot meal ready when we get home in the evenings.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:26 PM

I messed her recipe up when I tried to make it myself. She does hers in this big pot on the stove, but you can probably do it in the crock put too. She uses beef broth. And adds her own seasonings to taste (salt and pepper for sure, after that I have no idea). We like the broth to be nice and thick so she adds a good amount of corn starch to it. I remember watching her flour the meat, browning it, and then letting it cook for a few hours on the stove in the broth. Then comes the veggies. I think that's it. But like I said, I messed it up when I tried it myself (the meat was tough, and it wasn't all that flavorful).
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    Ok, we can leave out the peas Artsy. I was thinking carrots, potatoes, celery, onions. What say you?
    I use celery powder .I don't like celery but each to his own.
    Near the end you can throw in any veggie you want , cooked broccoli or cauliflower I like both of those.
    Gunslinger69 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2009, 08:58 AM
    It seems to me the trick to getting it tender is cooking along time. You can also add bacon as the fat will tenderize for you. Two slices should do it. (also helps with the flavor) Another thing I do in many of my long cooking dishes is to add a couple off packages of gravy mix. It packs lots of flavor and has corn starch in it to make stuff nice and thick in the end. Just be sure you add enugh water if doing that so that it doesn't stick to the crock pot! Hope this helps! Lisa
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Aug 1, 2009, 09:05 AM

I like to poke small pieces of garlic into the meat,and I use sage on the meat before browning.wife doesn't like celery I do so I keep the pieces large so they can be spotted easily
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 11:09 AM

I'm still craving beef stew this morning. I'm going to try making it on my own again and maybe this time I'll get it right. I', going to try adding garlic to the meat and see if I can find a bottle of au :)
    Gunslinger69 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2009, 01:19 PM
    :cool: Lol, now you folks have me wanting Beef Stew! I will make it soon... Think I'll try some of the new Ideas I have seen here... My Stew is always good and it gets eating up in no time, but nothing like taking a good recipie and making it better!
    I put cabbage rolls in the crock pot this morn... Haven't had them since mom used to make them. That's been 30 or more years ago! Hope they come out good... My first time doing it but the recipie looks yummy!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 1, 2009, 01:29 PM

I throw in 1/2 c. to a cup of burgundy or merlot (plus water or beef broth) early on with the meat chunks. This helps tenderize the meat and add flavor. (I don't use a crock pot, but first dredge the meat chunks in seasoned flour, brown them in melted butter in a dutch oven, add sliced onions, add more seasonings such as bay leaf and a little Worchestershire sauce and parsley flakes, water to cover, add the burgundy, and simmer for at least an hour. Stir occasionally. Add chopped veggies later.)
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 03:50 PM

Mmm. The au was a great idea. My stew isn't done yet. It still has a ways to go until the meat is tender (or I hope it gets tender) but I can't help lick the spoon every time I stir it! :)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 03:54 PM

Ooo I make a good one.

I get a medium sized roast. Some red potatoes and carrots and celery. And put it all in the crockpot with 2 cups or water and spices (I cheat and use McCormick roast packet) at 6am or so on low (some of the newer crockpot lows are too high, so use warm for those newer ones) and I cook it ALL day for a good 12 hours. Then the roast is faling apart and sooo juicy! And I break it all up into the water, and chop up the potatoes and then put it in bowls.

Sooo yummy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crock Pot [ 13 Answers ]

Does anybody have any recipes for crock pot dishes? This would be a great time to share. (;

Slow Cooker Beef Stew [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Does anyone have a really good beef stew recipe for a slow cooker?? I am just learning how to cook. Do you have to brown the meat before putting It in the slow cooker?? I feel like an idiot, Please help...

Crock Pot [ 2 Answers ]

How long can you keep the food in the crock pot on Warm? Can you put the Hot crock pot of food into the refrigerator?

Crock pot [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to cook a pot roast in my 6qt crock pot. It's call a "Crock Watcher". It has an auto function besides low and high. I lost the book on this and wondered if anyone was fimiliar with this pot, and if was OK if I left it on 'auto' overnight, then swith to low in the morning till dinner time.

Burnt  beef vegetable stew [ 1 Answers ]

I made a few gallons of beef stew. My cooking pot stuck to the stove element and now the stew has a burnt smell although none of the beef, potatoes or vegetables are burned. Help!! Carol :'( :'(

View more questions Search