Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awesomej1980 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 03:22 PM
    Invasion of Privacy?
    I have a question regarding my Rights to Privacy when engage in an internet chat with someone. I was chatting with a friend of mine, who I had most recently slept with. She was planning on moving from Ontario to Alberta, and breaking it off with the guy she was with. We chatted for 3 weeks after she'd left Alberta to go back. Her b/f, who she lived with and was technically common law with, installed a key logging software onto her computer, and waited about 3 weeks before he read them. He now knows things about me that I would rather not have anybody else know, and he has obtained my phone numbers. I'm sure that he or one of his friends has called my phones, but they blocked the calls so they came up as Private.

Is what he did illegal? I feel violated, as I said, there was information that we talked about that I wouldn't tell very many people.

Is there anyway I can get the phone companies to trace those 2 calls for me, so I can figure out if it was him that phoned me?

Thanks
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 03:32 PM

It is highly unlikely the phone company will do that for you.Unless you are being threatened ,you don't have a case.It is expensive and time consuming and they rarely do it ,unless they have a court order.

I was being harassed and threatened by phone and the best I got was a new phone number ,free of charge,because they gave me a published number when I asked for private.

One of the downsides of the Internet is lack of privacy,it's a risk we all take when we get on line.

I think your just going to have to eat this one. Live and learn.

Jul 31, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Did I also mention that they are common law and not married, which I believe means that they own what they buy, not shared property. So that would make him putting a keylogger onto her computer, not their computer.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:06 PM

When you type anything on the computer you can't trust who it is going to or where it is going. She could even have been letting him read the stuff over her shoulder and they could have been having a good laugh about it.
    You were messing with his girlfriend and there is nothing you can do unless he does start threatening you.
    You can get your phone number changed and you can change your screen names and things to protect yourself but until he does something more than a few annoying calls and starts threatening there isn't much you can do,
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomej1980 View Post
    Did i also mention that they are common law and not married, which i believe means that they own what they buy, not shared property. So that would make him putting a keylogger onto her computer, not their computer.
    I do believe SHE would have to be the one to press charges and more than likely she will take his side over you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 10:40 PM

If they are indeed fall within the "common law " that means they have a common law marriage and for states ( in US) or provinces in Canada that accept these, they are as married as if they had a preacher.

But it is HER computer that was tampered with or had the virus put in it, so she will have to file charges with the police.

Since it was not your computer, merely your conversation with this person, it is her place to file a complaint
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomej1980 View Post
    Did i also mention that they are common law and not married, which i believe means that they own what they buy, not shared property. So that would make him putting a keylogger onto her computer, not their computer.
    The bottom line is that it would be a frivolous lawsuit and I doubt any lawyer would take it.
    Judges have no time for this kind of crap.They are really getting upset with Internet nonsense.
    Learn how to protect yourself on line or suffer the consequences.
    Not to mention the fact that you can't PROVE your allegation.

Aug 1, 2009, 05:35 AM

I know for fact that she is not siding with him on this one.

As far as I'm aware, there is Internet Laws for a reason. And the Privacy Act does include computers.

In Canada, common law couples retain possession of anything they purchase, which would make the computer hers, and not theirs. He not only got our conversation, which included my phone number and other personal information of mine, but he got her passwords, her emails and everything else.

Thank you all for your advice. I will advise her of this, and I'm sure she will lay charges.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 05:50 AM

So you can ask her what she is going to do about it. It being her computer she would have to file the complaint about what he put on it.

You can contact whoever does these follow ups on the Internet Laws and Privacy Acts if you want and please let us know because we would like to be able to help others who have the same problem.
    I have tried to find who you report internet problems this like fraud. Scams and harassment to and noboby could be bothered. They only seem to be interested if it involves minors, from what I can see.

I am sure her boyfriend feels 'violated' that she slept with you
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 09:56 AM
    my Rights to Privacy when engage in an internet chat with someone
    installed a key logging software onto her computer, and waited about 3 weeks before he read them. He now knows things about me that I would rather not have anybody else know
    You cannot unring that bell

I'm sure that he or one of his friends has called my phones
    So what?

Is what he did illegal?
    Is it his computer? Does he pay the internet bill?

I feel violated
    Next time confide in person

Is there anyway I can get the phone companies to trace those 2 calls for me
    Yes, but your allegations had better be gravely serious and true.

--

If a land land add the feature "anonymous call rejection"

Use of a hardware keylogger CAN be a felony

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invasion of privacy (cameras at work) [ 12 Answers ]

Hi all where I work they have just built a new workshop for repairing vehicles, they have put up many cameras , but the one I need to know about is they have put one up in our mess (tea) room, can they do that or is it a invasion of our privacy?

Invasion of privacy [ 2 Answers ]

Moved in with a homeowner and recently found a pinhole wireless camera in a plant in the bathroom that I shower in what do I do?

HIPAA violation, invasion of privacy, slander, etc. [ 4 Answers ]

At Seton Medical in Daly City, I was treated the most disrespectfully and horribly ever in my life. They didn't listed to anything I said. This was alll after I disclosed me history of drug use, I have beenh clean for over ten years, but they wouldn't believe a word from my after hearing this. They...

Invasion of privacy? [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone is in the legal field maybe you can help. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about INVASION OF PRIVACY. A person has hired a private investorgator on me took all these photos hacked into my email and is now threating me with them. She's saying she's going to send all these privaite...

Invasion of privacy? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know if installing a web cam in a bar with no notification to the public that it is there constitutes an invasion of privacy? If so, what needs to be done to allow the bar to install said web cam? Thanks,

View more questions Search