Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a4z2b01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Drain slope
    On my bubble level, where would the bubble be on a quarter inch drain slope?. I have heard a quarter bubble crossing the line. How much area is determined by the 2 black lines on a level.. how much slope if the bubble was a little off or way off?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Hi A4z2b01:

I've never used the "break the bubble" method of pitching pipes. I have always used a PITCH LEVEL. These are expensive and usually hard to come by but you can make your own pitch level by following the information below.

For 3" pipe or smaller you want 1/4" pitch per foot of pipe. For 4" pipe or larger you want 1/8" pitch per foot.

To make this work so you are consistent in pitching 3" drain pipes, for example, you want take a 2 foot level and tape a 1/2" nut (or block of wood) on one end of the level (gives 1/4" pitch per foot). Set the level on the pipe so that the lifted end is toward the low end of the pipe and set the pipe so that the level reads perfectly level. This should guarantee a pretty consistent pitch to your pipe.

If you use a 4 foot level and want 1/4" pitch per foot you would use a 1" block of wood. If you want an 1/8" pitch per foot and you are using a 4 foot level you would tape a 1/2" block of wood, etc...

Hope that all made sense... ;)

MARK Attached Images
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2009, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by a4z2b01 View Post
    On my bubble level, where would the bubble be on a quarter inch drain slope?...I have heard a quarter bubble crossing the line. How much area is determined by the 2 black lines on a level.. how much slope if the bubble was a little off or way off?
    I've always used a "break the bubble" when roughing in drainage.
    For 3" and over I just crack the bubbles edge, that gives me about 1/8th inch to the foot. A little more bubble and I have 1/4". If I have to get serious, like running reefer chases in a super market at zero tolerances, I use a transit. Regards, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 03:48 PM

Mass, I HOPE I can remember that trick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Slope [ 18 Answers ]

I've heard 1/4" per foot and I've also heard 1/8" per foot is acceptable for waste lines. What is the ideal slope? Does it depend on pipe size or fixture type? (i.e. toilet vs sink) Thanks!

Closet Drain Slope [ 6 Answers ]

Hello... New here! We are remodeling our very small bathroom and I want to move our toilet to another area of the bathroom but our closet drain will be about 8 feet away. What is the least amount of slope that my husband can have to make this work for proper flushing? I look forward to being a...

Slope for kitchen drain line [ 3 Answers ]

Plumbing - Kitchen sink drain line slope

No slope toward floor drain. [ 3 Answers ]

The crew that did my concrete also forgot to slope the floor toward the drain, then they cut lines in the floor and sawed right through the drain opening. Any suggestions.

I need to slope a floor toward the drain? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been asked to do a tiel job. The problem is that there is a floor drain that doesn't slope properly. I need to put a small slope on the floor but not too much. The existing floor is concrete. Do I use a Mud bed? How do I get a gradual slope over a large area? Please help.

View more questions Search