Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aernest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Differences in operating costs?
    What I need to know, exactly, is what the difference in operating costs is between a 13 SEER non-variable-speed unit and a 16 SEER variable-speed unit. The cost difference to us will be $7000 and I want to know how long it will take, or if we can ever, recoup that cost difference in the life of the equipment.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 10:24 AM
    That info will need to be supplied by the contractor doing the work. He should have done a manual J for your structure and you actually need that to do the start of the calculations.

Cost difference has to use exacting calculations and the calculations will have to be done for the 13 SEER and then the 16 SEER. Then the two will be subtracted and the energy calculations saved will be shown. Then you will need to muitiply the energy calculations by the cost of the utilitys to get a final dollar savings.

All this information is local from your utility company since you will also need a basis for usage. This can be a long drawn out affair but I can tell you that the difference from a 13 to a 16 will never pay you back for the extra expense unless you are heating and cooling a gigantic building.

Below is a tip for you to use in selecting a contractor and BTW get at least two but better yet three different estimates for the work to be performed.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf How to pick a Contractor.pdf (309.7 KB, 119 views)
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Unless you are very,very young and get a warranty saying the 16 seer equipment will last about 100 years you will never recoup that cost difference
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Aug 3, 2009, 04:22 AM

Without seeing your utility costs, there is no way to be sure, but I suspect you will not recoup $7K in operational costs. I would however recommended quotes for 14 and 15 SEER units, since the 15 might qualify for the government rebate. Once you know what each SEER rating will cost you, you can find your sweat spot.
    aernest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 04:42 AM
    Thank you all for your kind answers! And NO, we are not young, but do expect to stay in this house a long time! I'm about ready to go for the 13, I think.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Aug 3, 2009, 08:56 AM

$7000 dollars in difference of cost? Is this quote from the same person? I would get other quotes. That seems like a huge difference in price? Are they offering any rebates from the manufacturer? The 16 if done right would qualify you for the tex credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting Sales Price Variable Material Costs Fixed Monthly Costs [ 0 Answers ]

I have no clue where to begen with this, I could use some help! Its due on Friday night and the teacher as done nothing to help here. I'm totally lost. The individual portion of this assignment is for each person to produce his/her own solution to the following. Claire’s Antiques has fixed cost...

Differences between fixed, variable and mixed costs [ 1 Answers ]

can anyone give me some good examples between the differences of fixed costs, variable costs and mixed costs?

Fundamental Differences between operating systems [ 17 Answers ]

What are the fundamental differences between Windows, Mac OS, UNIX, and systems for personal computers? What unique characteristics do mainframe operating systems have?

View more questions Search