Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jleo3 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Can you teach an old dog new tricks?
    Hello, fellow dog lovers! I know that this issue has been around for a long time, but I am looking for some advice. My boyfriend and I met and hit it off right away because we are both crazy about our dogs and they are the same to each other. My little girl is a 3 year old shiba inu. I worked very closely with her as a puppy and she has retained all that she has learned. She can sit, lay down, speak, roll over (clockwise and counterclockwise), play dead, and give me her right/left paw (depending on which hand I provide).
    My boyfriend's dog, a 6 year old "schnug" (schnauzer/pug) did not receive the same attention as a puppy. He is very paw shy, which, I am sure contributes to the problem. I have been working with him for close to 2 years without any progress. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I say "paw" while petting his paw, praising him and, occasionally, giving him treats. I also demonstrate with the shiba in front of him, so he can see. He's a smart little guy and LOVES attention, but is having difficulty with this one. Any suggestions?
    jleo3 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 08:48 AM
    I should also add that he is the master of "sitting" and "laying down". It's just that he is limited to those two tricks.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:17 PM

Some dogs can be very difficult to train, almost impossible.

My mum is a dog groomer and she has been this one ladies dog for about 6 years now... it still missbehaves as bad as ever even with grroming every 6 weeks for those 6 years.

All you can really do is keep trying.
    Have you tried different techniques?
    What worked for your Shiba may not work for the Pug mix.

He might be food or toy oriented and respond better with a reward of some kind, or he may need physical encouragement (actually picking his paw up, shaking it and putting it down)

One of my poodles learned tricks very quickly with me just showing her what to do once while my other poodle took a lot more encouragement but once he did the trick once, he did it perfect every time after that.

Don't give up yet, just try a few different techniques. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What are some . Say awesome tricks I can teach my dog? [ 19 Answers ]

:D I've already got down all of the basics I taught my dog how to sit, lay down, high five, settle (go lay on her bed) , how to get food only when I say "get it" , stay, hug, speak, and to jump a bar in my backyard... *I want to teach her something else, but something useful or really cool...

I have a dog and I want to teach him some cool tricks other then the basics [ 8 Answers ]

I have a Jack Russel Terrier and he is really smart . I already taught him how to do the basic, Sit, Lie down, roll over, speak, high five, jump, stay, GET IT! ( you put a treat on the ground and wait till you say GET IT! And he will get it.) I want to teach him something new that is more...

Fun Tricks [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone know any easy dog tricks other then the normal, sit, stay, speak,down etc...

Dog tricks [ 3 Answers ]

I feel like teaching rex some new tricks. I want to teach him to get his leash when I tell him (lets go for a walk go get your leash) does anyone know how I could go about teaching him this? Is there any other fun tricks I could teach him, he's a reaaly smart dog and a fast learner.

Dog tricks [ 5 Answers ]

my dog noes how 2 sit he listens to that an dhe noes how 2 give me his paw when I say slap me, but how do I get him to lay down that's hard don't know what to do man, p.s when he sin the house he sits on my comand when on road its difrent he listens when he wants

View more questions Search