Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsermadevi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Tax withholding from a non-resident alien
    :confused:
    Dear all,
    I was a G-4 visa holder from 1991 till Feb 2000 and left the USA in Feb 2000. I hold the 401(K) account in the USA but could not withdraw money or close the account then since I was only 56 then. When I want to close the account now (I am 62 now) the administrator says that the money would be sent after deducting 20% towards tax withholding. I am a non-resident alien and the question is whether I am liable for tax withholding or can I get exemption from thew IRS? Please reply.
    With kind regards,
    Ramakrishnan, India:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 21, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Answered on other post. Need to know how much money is involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Resident or non-resident alien child? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a peculiar problem that is unanswered after 3 days of searching online. I am a resident alien in the US, and my wife and son joined me on a dependent H-4 visa on November 19,2005. My son was born earlier on in the year outside the country. So, my question is, can my baby...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

NR Alien to Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I immigrated to the US from Canada on November 26, 2005 on an IR1 visa. I just want to confirm what I think I need to do to file my 2005 US taxes. From what I understand, I need to use the standard 1040 to file, declaring any income earned after November 26, 2005. I also need to attach a...

View more questions Search