Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rswiggins Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 04:18 AM
    Ex-girlfriend has life insurance on my husband
    My husband's ex-girlfriend has a life insurance policy on him. They do have a 6 year-old daughter together. But, the ex-girlfriend is the benificiary and thinks that if anything happens to my husband, she will be the one making funeral arrangements! Can she legally have this policy??
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 04:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rswiggins View Post
    My husband's ex-girlfriend has a life insurance policy on him. They do have a 6 year-old daughter together. But, the ex-girlfriend is the benificiary and thinks that if anything happens to my husband, she will be the one making funeral arrangments!! Can she legally have this policy???

If she is paying the premiums, she has every right to have the policy on your husband, however, I don't know about funeral arrangements. She would have to have a death certificate to collect on the insurance policy; I don't know how she would get that seeing that she is no longer next of kin.

Tick
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 05:03 AM

Yes, she can legally have the policy. She has an insurable interest you husband's life, namely their daughter.

That has nothing to do with who would make funeral arrangements. Unless otherwise specified in a will, this is normally done by a family member or next of kin.

Tickle,
    A death certificate is a matter of public record and available to everyone.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post

Tickle,
    A death certificate is a matter of public record and available to everyone.
    Thanks for pointing that out, hk.

Tick
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 06:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Yes, she can legally have the policy. She has an insurable interest you husband's life, namely their daughter.
    This is what's most important here. At the time a life insurance policy is taken out, there has to be an insurable interest (regardless of how the relationship may change after that). So yes, she can legally have a policy on him. In fact, she still has an insurable interest in him but as long as interest was present at the time of the application, the policy is valid.

As for who makes the funeral arrangements, normally the spouse would be first in line to handle this but there's no hard and fast rule about it. This would be a great time for you and your husband to sit down and have this discussion. Find out what his wishes are and look into pre-purchasing plots, etc.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 12:46 PM

Been there, done this - I have no idea where OP lives.

The person who took out the life insurance policy (as Nikosmom says) has an absolutely right to pay the premiums and continue as beneficiary. Could she now take out a policy on him? No - not without his consent.

As far as funeral arrangements - the ex has no legal standing. I have no idea why anyone is lumping life insurance/funeral arrangements into the same package.

Yes, it's a good idea to discuss funeral arrangements. However, a LOT of people don't want to do so. It isn't easy when you are the spouse and making "these" arrangements and the "ex" (in my case the ex-wife) is busy over here making "those" arrangements but, again, the surviving spouse is the one with all the legal rights.

To repeat - this policy and funeral arrangements are two different issues.

And, yes, death certificates in SOME States are public record - but not in all States.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Could she now take out a policy on him? No - not without his consent.
    She couldn't take a policy out on him without his consent but she still could take a policy out on him. As the father of her child, she definitely still has an 'interest' in him and would be affected by his death.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 06:06 PM

Yes as part of my divorce and child custody I have to keep a 50,000 policy on myself with my ex getting the money

As the second part, no that does not give her any rights to do funeral arrangements, she only gets money from life insurance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    She couldn't take a policy out on him without his consent but she still could take a policy out on him. As the father of her child, she definitely still has an 'interest' in him and would be affected by his death.

That's what I meant - she needs his consent to take out a new policy on him. Part of divorce settlements in NY all the time. "Ex" often obtains the policy and pays the premium.

Happens when "ex" cannot be trusted to carry insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Life Insurance Help [ 9 Answers ]

I Need Help Understanding All The Different Types Of Life Insureance. Where Can I Find Decent Rates For Being A 36 Year Old Male. The Quotes I Have Received Seem Off The Wall Compared To The Rates My Co-workers Pay.

Life insurance [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find a life insurance policy for a deceased relative, with no info on the company?

Life Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to get a policy for someone who has non-hodgkin's lymphoma and is currently takeing treatments for.

Fiancee's ex-girlfriend is his alternate trustee on life insurance policy [ 1 Answers ]

Need advice! My fiancee's ex-girlfriend, who just so happens to be partner in a family law firm, is currently the alternate trustee on his life insurance policy. His mother is the trustee. I understand that their platonic friendship turned into an intimate one and they eventually became lovers....

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

View more questions Search