Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uksight1111 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 12:16 AM
    What happens in case of insolvency of the association?
    I understand that if a member insurer of the Insurance Guarantee Association is found to be insolvent, the Guarantee Association Act enables the guarantee association to provide protection (up to the limits spelled out in the Act) to policyholder.
    Then what happens when "the Association" itself goes bankrupt? Is there any law that stipulates if the state government will pay for policyholders in place of the
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 08:43 PM
    First- every insurance company is required by law to participate AND pay into its state's guaranty association so there is continual funding. The guaranty associations limit the amount they will pay out to avoid bankruptcy/insolvency on their part but also, they will move policies to a different (more financially sound) company when possible. The way they work is similar to the way the FDIC backs up bank failures.

The guaranty association will pay out the max per its state's limits then the balance of the claim will be made against the insurance company. Any remaining assets are then paid to the policyholders.

Aug 2, 2009, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    First- every insurance company is required by law to participate AND pay into its state's guaranty association so there is continual funding. The guaranty associations limit the amount they will pay out to avoid bankruptcy/insolvency on their part but also, they will move policies to a different (more financially sound) company when possible. The way they work is similar to the way the FDIC backs up bank failures.

The guaranty association will pay out the max per its state's limits then the balance of the claim will be made against the insurance company. Any remaining assets are then paid to the policyholders.
    Thank you so much!
    So consumers are not worried that a guaranty association fails due to, for instance, wrong doing in its fund management or flaud? Like we are not worried about FDIC?
    I'm studying about health insurance system of your country from overseas and don't really know how Americans feel about it. Secure or not secure, etc.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2009, 06:55 PM

No, consumers are not worried. Mainly because the guaranty assoications transfer policies to other companies when possible (then they avoid paying out) and even when they do pay out, they limit what they pay.

The only question becomes if a person has coverage beyond what the association secures. So a person with a $1 million dollar policy will only have coverage guaranteed by the association for say $300,000 (this is most states' limit) but the remaining $700,000 is made as a claim on the insurers assets so the policyholder will recoup a higher percentage of their claim.

Aug 2, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Thank you!! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proving insolvency [ 1 Answers ]

I need information on how to prove insolvency using form 982. Do I include the amount of the insovency as income on my 1040 or do I not include the income and attach the 982. What detail do I attach to 982 in any. {moved from Forum Help-<>}

How can I prove insolvency to the IRS? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a 1099c for the short sale of my home. I did not have many assets at the time of the sale, now I need to now how I can prove this to the IRS. I do not want to have to claim over $100,000 as income on my tax return. Can anyone please help me. Thank you.

1099C and Insolvency [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to be getting a 1099c on a home I could not afford the mortgage on in another state from where I live now. I had to move when my job moved and I could not afford both houses. I tried paying for both for about three years while having the home on the market to sell, but it wouldn't sell....

View more questions Search