Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Twink24 Posts: 45, Reputation: -2

Jul 30, 2009, 10:35 PM
    Will I get over it?
    My dog Twinkle was an 11 year old pure bred Sheltie. Last week we had to put my poor baby to sleep because she had a cancerous tumor in her mouth (which had a very foul odor) and cancer all throughout her body, she was in pain and had stopped making any effort to eat or have any social interactions with my family. I made the decision to be there with my mother and father when they put her to sleep, when they injected the numbing drug she seemed so at peace and she fell asleep right away, they didn't even get the second drug (which kills her) half way into her and she had already passed. I think it was probably one of the most horrible things in my life. And now as I sit here writing this I bawl. It has been a week now and I am still in the same miserable depressed state it feels like I just can't get over it. I miss her so much and it just feels like I'm walking in a dream because I never thought that I would ever have to live my life with having her with me. She was invincible in my eyes. I know I sound like a drama queen but I can't help it. I just want to know do you eventually get over it? Is there anything I can do to get past this, because my heart feels like its split in two.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 10:50 PM

Yes you will get over it.

When I was growing up, my grandmother had a chihuahua. Tito, was his name.
    They got him only one year after I was born. For every family event I could ever remember, he was always right there. He was my grandma's dog, but I was his best friend! He was there for the first sixteen years of my life. Then he passed. It was very hard.

However, speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that you will never forget, but you will be at ease.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 11:02 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.

Right now will be the hard part. It WILL get better.

You don't sound like a drama queen- your feelings are completely normal.

I put my dog down 4 years ago. I can tell you it will get better- now all I have is great memories.

Sarah
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 12:42 AM

Very sorry to hear about your furry baby.

You will grieve for a while but it will pass.

Don't feel bad when you start to feel better, when my last furry baby died I felt so guilty when I started to feel happy again... don't feel bad!

Put his things in a box and store them away until the pain has gone.
    Then you can get those keepsakes out of the box and remember all the good times you had.

Making a scrapbook or a collage of all the photos you have is another great way of remembering.
    gizzmogirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 12:14 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I can relate to what you are currently feeling. Last July, we had to put down our 11-year-old cat, Bartley. He also had cancer of the mouth (in the soft pallete). We did all we could for him, including radiation therapy; but after about six months, it was clear that he had enough. Making the call to the vet was so hard. They were able to come to the house to do the procedure. My husband and I cried for weeks at every memory of him. It took several months to get to the point where I could remember all the good times with Bartley and remember that his pain and suffering were over now. I was comforted by making a photo collage of all his best poses over the years. I hung it next to the stairs so I see it whenever I go upstairs.

No one can tell you how long it will take to feel better. However, you will feel less miserable in a while.
    gizzmogirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 12:14 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I can relate to what you are currently feeling. Last July, we had to put down our 11-year-old cat, Bartley. He also had cancer of the mouth (in the soft pallete). We did all we could for him, including radiation therapy; but after about six months, it was clear that he had enough. Making the call to the vet was so hard. They were able to come to the house to do the procedure. My husband and I cried for weeks at every memory of him. It took several months to get to the point where I could remember all the good times with Bartley and remember that his pain and suffering were over now. I was comforted by making a photo collage of all his best poses over the years. I hung it next to the stairs so I see it whenever I go upstairs.

No one can tell you how long it will take to feel better. However, you will feel less miserable in a while.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 12:34 PM

I'm sorry to hear that... And to answer your question, you will get over because you have to.

It's always hard to admit when someone we love pass away, but life goes on for you. You cannot afford to stay back forever. It may sound harsh, but life is like that.

The best you can do was already said; keep the memories of the good times you had you and your dog.

My deepest sympathy to you.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 31, 2009, 01:47 PM
    I'm sorry for your loss.:(

I know that losing someone you love (in this case it's a dog) is very sad but you'll get over it soon enough.

Good Luck!:)

Joy
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 01:59 PM

I still get teary eyed when I think about my old buddy Hamilton who was a beautiful German Shepard and it has been over 15years.

The loss will always be there but the pain will fade over time.But not completely.

These are our loved ones and it is just like a member of the family passing away.

The love of a dog or cat is priceless.They ask for nothing but a little attention and they give endless love and loyalty in return.

Who could not grieve about that?

It is not being a drama queen by any stretch of the imagination.

In time you will begin to have only the good memories in your heart and this most recent memory will fade.

I'm truly sorry for your loss but think of what a blessing you had for so many years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search