Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SquirrelG1rL Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2009, 07:50 PM
    If someone is named on a mortgage but not on the deed, can we stop paying the mort?
    My cousin's condo is in her mother's name. Her mother passed away. Now her father is now listed on the deed but not the mortgage. My cousin has lost her job and is moving in with her father at his condo. Can she just walk away from this condo in South Florida without it affecting her father's credit?
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 09:25 AM

Abdicating her responsibility outright will not end well.
    lessaul Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Aug 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Typically, the parties that sign the loan promissory note are the parties that are obligated to re-pay the debt. By signing the mortgage or being on the deed, this does not obligate you to re-payment of the loan. However, in a foreclosure process the mortgagor will file with the local court to remove all vested owners from chain of title. This should not impact her credit if she was not a signer on the promissory note with the mortgage company.
    __________________________________________________ __
    I am not an attorney, I only work in the mortgage industry. My statements are intended as legal representation and should not be taken as such. You should seek professional legal counsel for specific legal questions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 4, 2009, 12:45 PM

Let me get this straight. Your cousin got a mortgage on a condo that was in her mother's name? How did she manage that?

A lender is not going to loan money on property that is owned by someone else. That's why a mortgage is a secured loan instrument, it is secured by the property.

If dad inherited the property, he also inherited any obligations on it. Therefore, if the property is foreclosed his credit, will, most likely be affected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New mortgage paying rules [ 2 Answers ]

Homecomings Mortgage for the last 40 years, has had Mortgage payments due on the first of every month. After the 16th of the month if payment is not received you became delinquent. But recently they initiated the following rule. Unfortunately, as the investor on your mortgage has placed...

Paying off my mortgage [ 3 Answers ]

When I sell my house and pay the outstanding mortgage do I have to also pay off all the secured loan that I still owe

Warranty deed versus mortgage deed [ 1 Answers ]

What deed is given when there is a mortgage on the property

Paying mortgage in home country [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I moved to US in Aug 2006 on a L1A visa, can you advise: 1. Since I don't meet the substantially presence test, do I need to file in April? Even if I don't need to file in April, can I elect to file in April as NR? 2. I pay mortgage in my country of citizenship, Jamaica, and was...

View more questions Search