Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pgrella Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
    How long can I leave a puppy alone?
    How long can I leave a new puppy (lab) alone? With my job, I will be gon 8 hours a day.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jul 30, 2009, 03:37 PM

8 hours is a bit long to leave a new puppy by itself. How old is the puppy you are planning on getting? Will anyone else be home or able to check in on the puppy and give it a little attention and potty breaks? Could you on your lunch breaks?
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 03:38 PM
    Alone just roaming around? In the house or outside? In a kennel cage?
    What's your plan?
    Twink24 Posts: 45, Reputation: -2

Jul 30, 2009, 10:17 PM

I would probably say 4 hours max. and in a kennel, you don't want him/her running around your house chewing and eating everything and you definitely don't want him having 'accidents' while your out. Maybe on your breaks go home and feed/let him outside.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 12:51 AM

If you are crating your dog the general rule of thumb is one hour for each month after the dog is 2 months old...

So if your dog is 3 months old, it can stay in a crate for 2 hours,
    4 months old, it can stay in for 3 hours... etc...

Just remember that a young puppy can get bored very easily and can become destructive.
    They only have small bladders and if you are leaving it alone for 8 hours expect to come home to pee and poop.

Toilet training will be more difficult if as soon as you get to pup you will be leaving it alone during the day so make sure you do strict training before and after work.

I leave my dogs in a room when I go out, I prefer this to crating as it gives them some sort of freedom in case I am home late.
    Just make sure it is completely puppy proof, somewhere like a kitchen or bathroom with no cords hanging down would be good.

Always remember to leave fresh water out and plenty of toys to alleviate boredom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How long can I leave my 8 week old puppy for? [ 3 Answers ]

I got a Chihuahua puppy 2 weeks ago. He is now 8 weeks old. Currently I can leave him alone for roughly 2hours and he is fine the whole time. I am at home all day every day at the moment but I'm starting a Course next week 1 day a week for 10weeks. I will have to be away from 9am to 2:30pm He is...

How to leave a puppy home alone while at work [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 3 1/2 month old bull terrier. What is the best way to leave the puppy home alone for 9 to 10 hours a day? What is the best thing to do at night?

Mom won't leave puppy alone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog had puppies almost 5 weeks ago and now she won't leave the runt in with the other pups and if she is therewith others she carries it in her mouth why is that

Should I leave food out for my 3 month old puppy? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 3month old lab puppy and we have been leaving food out for him during the day. Do we need to keep doing this or should we just feed the pup at specific times only?

How long can I leave a new Labrador puppy home alone [ 14 Answers ]

I'm thinking of getting a Lab pup but I don't want to be cruel by leaving it on its own too much! I currently have exams so would be able to pop back home every 3-4 hours, and then after my exams and then after about 3 weeks, I will be home for a good 2 and a half months. Then I will be starting...

View more questions Search