Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Toddlers and Tiaras
    Toddlers and Tiaras.

Have you ever seen the show?

It's about kids in beauty pageants and their parents.

What do you think about child beauty pageants? Good, bad, indifferent?

Personally, I don't understand why. These kids wear fake teeth, hair, some parents even get fake tans for their kids. What are they teaching them by doing this, that fake is beautiful?

What happened to teaching your kids values, teaching them that everyone is beautiful in their own way and that beauty isn't the most important thing?

Are these kids just little dolls for Mom and Dad to play with?

You couldn't pay me to put my daughter in a beauty pageant.

Thoughts?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 03:04 PM

My kids were 'normal' kids I bought them the tiaras in the Dollar Tree. They had them broke before they got home.
    Pets Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    My kids were 'normal' kids I bought them the tiaras in the Dollar Tree. They had them broke before they got home.
    LMAO! Same here NH.

Sydney wanted to be a princess for halloween, we bought the dress, the wand, the tiara. Everything but the tiara made it to halloween. Those things aren't built to last.

I let her wear lip gloss that night, that's it, no more. She's 6, not 26! ;)

Some of the kids on that show even have fake eyelashes!

What's wrong with this world? :confused:
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 03:11 PM

Honestly, if my daughter got older and wanted to be in one, I would let her. However I wouldn't push it on her or make her go, or encourage her to go, nor would I dress her up all fake the way these mothers do. It would be HER. Her own beauty. And I would support her, without pressuring her.

EDIT:: your right alty, I also wouldn't let her wear makeup. Some lip gloss is fine but all the other stuff just wouldn't make its way on her face
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 03:17 PM

I totally agree with you. The Jon-Benet story was my introduction to kid beauty pageants and usually chubby, wild-eyed moms. One of my SILs was like that with her two daughters but only with family, thank goodness. "Everyone listen to Jenny recite her ABC's" and "What's 2+2, Heather?" Those of us with children had already successfully gotten past that stage ourselves without trying to bore anyone, so we mostly rolled our eyes at each other when Jenny and Heather were trotted out at family dinners.

Interestingly enough, their idea of what's important really did get skewed along the way. Both girls ended up as single moms and no baby-daddies in sight. One can't keep a job and is on welfare; the other just finished a nursing certificate at a community college. The chubby, wild-eyed mom-now-grandma (perpetual babysitter now that she's retired from her job) and the girls' father have purchased homes for their daughters.

I vote no for beauty-pageant moms and their performing children.
    Pets Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    honestly, if my daughter got older and wanted to be in one, i would let her. however i wouldnt push it on her or make her go, or encourage her to go, nor would i dress her up all fake the way these mothers do. it would be HER. her own beauty. and i would support her, without pressuring her.
    I can respect that Jennie, sadly she wouldn't even make it through the door unless you were willing to do all fake crap.

They're harsh. The parents are the worst of all.

These kids live and breath pagents.

Nope, I would never do it. Never!

My daughter is beautiful, she's smart, she's one of a kind, like every other child out there. I would never make or let her compete in a contest that just judges you on your fake looks, or even your real looks. What does that tell a child? You're only worth something if you're beautiful?

Of course most kids want to compete. They get to dress up, wear makeup, fake hair, fake lashes, have someone fuss all over them. What little girl doesn't love that? But the parents, they do it for the money, the trophy, for reasons other then their children.

Watch the show if you can. It's not all gits and shiggles.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 03:18 PM

I heard those mothers get down right nasty to each other. Then often they are fixed so your kid has no chance of winning anyway so what's the point?
    They are more involved in it then the kids.
    Pets Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I heard those mothers get down right nasty to each other. Then often they are fixed so your kid has no chance of winning anyway so whats the point?
    They are more involved in it then the kids.
    So true.

I've only seen the show once or twice, it made me sick. Those mothers shouldn't be allowed to have children.

Here's an article I found about the season premiere. I didn't see it. I don't watch it, don't want to promote the show, but I do recommend seeing one episode, it's a real eye opener.

toddlers and tiaras - Google News
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jul 30, 2009, 04:07 PM

Every time time I see the commercial for that show I think of that ramsey girl that got raped and killed. All of the girls on that show look like her! I don't think little kids look right with make up on. They look sooo creppy!
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jul 30, 2009, 04:10 PM

I think its sad what those children are put through, and I think it may give them the wrong outlook on life.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 04:47 PM

Yeah I wouldn't go for one of those huge national things. But if there was one at her school, or a local little thing here, that I wouldn't mind. But I see what you mean about it. Its just rediculas.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 06:33 PM
    The first thing I thought of when I read toddlers and tiaras was the movie little miss sunshine. (great great movie)

What I kind of find sad about the whole thing, like I do with several other things connected with this is how children seem to grow up so fast. It seems kind of wasteful that little girls spend so much time on fake beauty, vaseline, and big big smiles... I've only watched like 10 minutes of the show itself before I turned it of, there is something about the hysteria and the... well whole air that surrounds the people on the show...

Mind though, that I don't have kids myself (yet)...
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:10 AM

Seems to me, and my lack of expert parental skills, that some of these parents try to live through their children and force a life upon them that they wish they had had. It's one of those things where the lack of success you had as a child is portrayed upon constant pressure on the child.

Sad to me. Like I said, I am not parent so I am really in no place to judge. I have always thought, though, that the opportunity to be a parent is greater than anything else in the world. You are creating a human, not a robot to do the things you wish you would have done. Just my opinion.
    Pets Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kctiger View Post
    Seems to me, and my lack of expert parental skills, that some of these parents try to live through their children and force a life upon them that they wish they had had. It's one of those things where the lack of success you had as a child is portrayed upon constant pressure on the child.

Sad to me. Like I said, I am not parent so I am really in no place to judge. I have always thought, though, that the opportunity to be a parent is greater than anything else in the world. You are creating a human, not a robot to do the things you wish you would have done. Just my opinion.
    I wish I could rep you KC. I agree.

Not having a child doesn't mean you don't have an opinion and I agree with yours.

A lot of these parents even talk about their dreams on the show, and sadly their dreams are projected on to the kids.

Some of these kids are infants, not even able to crawl yet, you can't tell me it's their dream to be dressed up like a cocktail waitress and parade around in front of judges.

Yes, even the infants get fake hair, teeth, eyelashes and tans.

I do find it amazing. The people that participate in this show don't seem to realize that the majority of viewers are outraged at how they treat their kids.

My daughter is a child. Her purpose in life, at the age of 6, is to go outside, play, get dirty, have fun and in the process maybe learn something too. Yes, she loves to wear a pretty dress when we go to a wedding or birthday party, but the rest of the time she's in her play clothes, mucking around, being a kid.

That's how it should be. In my opinion.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Nothing like teaching your kids early on to be as shallow as possible. I guess the apple rarely falls far from the tree.
    Pets Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Nothing like teaching your kids early on to be as shallow as possible. I guess the apple rarely falls far from the tree.
    Well said.

About them apples. :D
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:22 PM

I made a thread like this long ago. It includes pageant mom clips...

Twisted, disturbing or a great experience!

Sarah
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 10:45 PM

I agree with everything that has been said and the COST to these families is insane. I have seen this on Dr.Phil and they spent thousands and thousands of dollars.
    The rest of the family has to do without so these psycho Moms can live out some fantasy!

The kids have designer clothes made and spend thousands of dollars for a two dollar trophy.

Then the sexy flaunting and prancing like little dressed up hookers!
    I can't stand it!

What a horrible role model for a child.You are only as good as your outward appearance honey.Smile,be a phony! I detest them!

Sorry for the rant but there are so many things wrong with this entire scene,it just sickens me.

I saw something last week,I don't even know what show but the one daughter(little beauty) was getting this preferential treatment by her Mom and the other sister was treated like she was worthless.It was heartbreaking.If that kid (the normal one)makes it to 15 without needing therapy I will be shocked!
    Sorry for the rant!
    Don't even get me started when the Mom says but she likes it.So what ?My kids wanted to stay up till midnight and eat ice cream for dinner. :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late 80s birthstone dolls with light-up tiaras when hair brushed [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a doll produced sometime between the late 80s and early 90s. It was a collection of small vinyl dolls with crowns/tiaras that Lit up when her hair was brushed. Each of the dolls in the collection Was themed as a birthstone - for example, I remember a Ruby doll and...

Toddlers health [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is two years old and has on and off diarrhea for the past year. She sometimes will go two to three weeks before it clears up. We have tested for everything and all shows up negative. Any advice?

Sims 2: Toddlers and Babies [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I'm a sims 2 lover and loves to make little movies with them. And I watch all the other videos that look very professional on Youtube and I was wondering, how do you get makeup around the baby's or toddler's face? The Youtube users seem to know how to do it and I really need to know. I've...

Blood in toddlers stool [ 1 Answers ]

My toddler had diarrhea about 30 minutes ago. She had a small accident in her pants before she could make it to the bathroom. In her pants, it looks like the diarrhea may have been bloody. What could be the cause, and does she need to go to the ER tonight, or the doctor first thing in the morning?

Toddlers and Funerals [ 1 Answers ]

My brothers father in law passed away in a traffic accident last night. He and his wife have a 3 year old girl. My brother is torn between wanting to go along with his wife and mother in laws wishes about having his daughter present for ALL aspects of the preparations, visitations and the funeral,...

View more questions Search