Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckynumber13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 01:44 PM
    17 Year old Thumb Sucker
    I am a 17 year old thumb sucker, with extremely bad A.D.D. anxiety, and depression problems. I also use drugs and other substances sometimes. I suck my thumb when I feel upset. Honestly, it's pretty pathetic, but I don't want to give it up. I have tried quitting several times in my life but my depression has always caused me to keep comforting myself with my thumb. When I have a problem in school, sometimes I'll go to the bathroom to sit in the stalls and suck my thumb. I suck my thumb when I'm tired, or depressed. I suck my thumb for comfort. My parents pressure me about it and my siblings often make fun of this addiction. I'm not sure why I am still sucking my thumb, and I don't think I could ever quit. It would be like giving up my best friend. Kind of like whenever I try to quit drugs. Are there any other teenaged girls who suck their thumbs, or is this extremely uncommon and "immature"?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Oct 20, 2006, 02:39 PM
    I don't have any official information on thumb sucking as an addiction but I can perhaps reassure you (surprise surprise) that I did it too and well into years in which my parents and others would suggest I was "too old for that!" Sadly, I can't tell you how it stopped since I simply don't remember... but it did.

And while we're on the topic, if I wore my hair much longer, I would still be indulging in another habit that went with thumb sucking: hair twirling. I find it very comforting to do. Like foot tapping (my brother) or nail biting (my sister) or doodling (my dad), I suspect it's a way to bleed off the extra energy of anxiety. (And yes, my family is messed up LOL) I try not to do it publicly but whenever I have, it has not failed to draw the attention of someone-who-was-raised-in-a-barn who is determined to say something totally unneceessary to me about it, and loudly too.

You might want to cultivate this response that I have found effective: "And this is your business because....???" followed by an unrelenting stare for a good full minute or two.

Bear in mind, I am making a MAJOR distinction between an embarrassing personal habit and a life threatening addiction too, okay? So I say considering whatelse you could be doing in those bathroom stalls, please... suck all you want! Just please please stay away from drugs or any other harmful substances as a source of solice. Slippery slope there, Lucky.

Also if you are under the care of a doctor for the ADD/anxiety/depression, let them know about this too? They can't help if they don't have the whole picture. I hope this helps and thanks for posting. If you have any more questions, we'll be right here.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luckynumber13
    I also use drugs and other substances sometimes.

It would be like giving up my best friend. Kind of like whenever I try to quit drugs.
    Val, maybe you want to address these issues. :rolleyes:
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Oct 20, 2006, 02:44 PM
    I agree with VAL. If sucking your thumb keeps you from doing drugs, there is nothing wrong with that.

Are you taking any depression medication?
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Please read the post again. She says she DOES use drugs and other substances.

Oct 20, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Val, maybe you want to address these issues. :rolleyes:
    Yes she does mention it. And I have addressed it, Janine, as indirectly as she mentions them...
    "Just please please stay away from drugs or any other harmful substances as a source of solice. Slippery slope there, Lucky."

It's as far as I felt was appropriate? I don't want to push too hard and fast about it. The thumb sucking part may be a "test the waters" kind of deal and the drug or substance abuse comes later? At any rate, I have told the truth about all of it, so only she can determine what the next call is.
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Okie, I see your point. One thing at a time!

Sowwie. :o
    BIM Posts: 245, Reputation: 50

Oct 20, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Please read the post again. She says she DOES use drugs and other substances.

I took her drugs and other substances as Illegal drugs, I wondered if she was taking any medication for her depression.

Oct 20, 2006, 02:55 PM
    No problemo, child of mine! :)
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
    Thanks Mom! :D
    luckynumber13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 12:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    I would still be indulging in another habit that went with thumb sucking: hair twirling. I find it very comforting to do.
    That's WHAT I DO TOO! I can't suck my thumb and NOT twirl my hair... in fact, the thought of even not being able to twirl my hair distresses me COMPLETELY. I'm not into hardcore drugs but I do smoke pot and absolutely hate it, but can't seem to kick it. And have recently taken lsd. But I'm working on quitting because I know that I'm in the beginning stages and if I don't quit now, I never will.

Anyway. Twirling my hair is like... smoking a cigarette. No, let me rephrase that: sucking my thumb is the cigarette, and twirling my hair is the LIT cigarette. You can't smoke a cigarette that isn't lit (obviously)... meh... trying to make some form of a metaphor out of this and it's late and my brain is shutting down.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate all advice, guys. <33

Yes, I am taking medication for my depression/anxiety. I take something called remeron, which helps me to fall asleep at night and increases my appetite... since my anxiety is really bad I'm never hungry and kind of developed an eating disorder. I don't think I'm fat or anything, and I never have thought I was overweight... I just don't like to eat. Make sense? Probably not... haha.

Oct 21, 2006, 06:10 AM
    If I may...

You know, Lucky, that you are taking a huge risk with lsd -- one bad dose and your whole life can forever vanish before your eyes. It is a "hardcore drug" by the way-- so how 'bout telling yourself the truth about it?

As for your use of weed, it already is an active addiction from your own description. Working on quitting? I would again encourage you to tell yourself the truth since I am reasonably assured that if I asked what specifically you were doing to "work on it", there wouldn't be much of a plan or a list of actions taken so far. How do I know this? I recognize my own rationalizing words I used at one time.

Need I remind you that possession of either could earn you a record? No wonder the anxiety! If you are to truly live a full and happy life, then all that takes away from that must be dealt with honestly, directly and completely. There is so much help in the world, dear Lucky-- you only need sincerely ask.

The really sad part to the people I meet with addictions and mental illness problems (and I meet many) is that they don't believe they are worthy of a good life-- and that is just so patently wrong. But they won't be able to believe it until they live it. And they are reluctant take the steps to get there and begin living it.

So I say to you now, if this is part of where you are...
    Believe that I believe until you get there yourself. Take a big breath of truth and take some action! Okay?
    lazurm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Why stop? Thumbsucking is much more popular among adults than anyone seems to realize (check out www.thumbsuckingadults.com for proof), is legal, doesn't affect the health of the great majority of those who indulge, is very effective at inducing feelings of calm, concentration, sleep... heck, it's even been proved to induce a state of mediatation with the resultant reduction in heart rate, stress and blood pressure.

If others think you're immature due to it, they are misinformed. Oh yes, one can be immature but thumb sucking isn't the cause or symptom since, according to the site mentioned above, adult thumb suckers have the same immaturity level (nuerosis, etc.) as the general population. So, go ahead, stop feeling twisted, and enjoy your thumb, as I and many other adults do!
    theme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2006, 06:26 PM
    I'm nineteen and I suck my finger. I too have depression and anxiety problems and am on meds.I just found this web site called thumbsuckingadults.com check it out. Don't worry about it though. What you need to quit is the drugs. My boyfriend knows I do it and he doesn't care. My teeth aren't messed up and it just relaxes me- I'm learning not to be ashamed of it.
    lilkimintraning Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by luckynumber13
    I am a 17 year old thumb sucker, with extremely bad A.D.D., anxiety, and depression problems. I also use drugs and other substances sometimes. I suck my thumb when I feel upset. Honestly, it's pretty pathetic, but I don't want to give it up. I have tried quitting several times in my life but my depression has always caused me to keep comforting myself with my thumb. When I have a problem in school, sometimes I'll go to the bathroom to sit in the stalls and suck my thumb. I suck my thumb when I'm tired, or depressed. I suck my thumb for comfort. My parents pressure me about it and my siblings often make fun of this addiction. I'm not sure why I am still sucking my thumb, and I dont think I could ever quit. It would be like giving up my best friend. Kind of like whenever I try to quit drugs. Are there any other teenaged girls who suck their thumbs, or is this extremely uncommon and "immature"?
    :cool: Look I'm 17 years old to soon to be 18 in 5 months I suck my thumb. I have dapression to, I find it very comfortable to do so yea its hard to stop but you know I know LOTS AND LOTS of girls my age if not older who suck there thumbs and they do it in public. I used to be scard to let people know but ones I saw kelly ozborn do it in public and I though WHY SHOULD I CARE what people think of me they don't know me. Be yourself as time goes on it will slow down because also ceep in mind there are lots of girls and guys are age doing the same as we. And I do it in my sleep to it helps me fall asleep because I used to do it when my mom boyfriend would choke me and slame me on floors and stuff and I would cry and suck my thumb and done it sents then. Its OK your not the only one out there and its not immature and it very common and to tell you the truth the sibling part mine use to do the same think to me till I sat them down and toold them why I do it I told them when I'm say I do it and then I'm hurt and then I use something they do for confort for an example. Try that and see what happens also tell them everyone is different and never to make fun of someone that is different because you can make them cry or hurt them very very badlly and you can get me on AOL at lilkimintraning I'm always on so if you would like to talk I'm here. Ps. Drugs don't do you know good only HARM TO U AND UR BODY AND THINK IF SOMEONE WAS TO GIVE YOUR YOUNG ONE DRUGS NOT GOOD inless they are meds for your dippresion I'm not critazion I just don't want another person hurt by that stuff.

From someone who knows how you feel :)
    demon_apes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
    You need to grow the up, you are pathetic. You're 17! I thought I had a problem with my 9 year cousin still doing it. I mean seriously, you're about to be graduating high school and becoming an adult yet you still suck your thumb?? No wonder people make fun of you. You're a stupid immature loser.
    demon_apes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow View Post
    Need I remind you that possession of either could earn you a record?
    Actually dumb dumb weed is just a ticket. Do your research before acting like you know everything.
    lazurm Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2012, 07:52 AM
    @demon_apes Oh, so you like to talk down to people who, in sucking their thumb, are at least quiet, nontrusive and minding their own business? Hey, that's a lot better than being, as you are, judgmental, mean spirited, ignorant, and worse. I hope you start sucking your thumb in your sleep. That would teach you some humility, Mr. Perfect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thumb sucking [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do to stop my daughter from sucking her finger...

Promoting Sucker Growth [ 1 Answers ]

I have a maple tree of which I have poured a cement patio around half of it and I have cut off the water to the tree The tree is dying as there are only half the leaves there were last year Also the are cracks in the bark on the trunk extending from the ground , up about 10 feet Id like...

Thumb sucking [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is addicted to keep her thumb in mouth. She often do this when she feel sleepy. I tried several times to remove, but she is not. Can anyone suggest a best practive to avoid this. Please fast. Regards, Krishna _ India

Green Thumb Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently purchased a 8 HP Rear Tine Green Thumb Tiller. The tiller is chain driven and the tines keep locking up. I thing that something is broke and there is a piece of dabre inside the houseing. I took the tiller apart but the tine axel is keeping me form separating the housing. The...

She's pregnant and I'm a sucker! [ 12 Answers ]

First the main issue and then a little bit of background. My ex-girlfriend, whom I haven't seen in over 10 weeks and presumed that I was never going to see again (which would have been fine by me), out of the blue shows up on my doorstep yesterday and informs me that "she's 17 weeks pregnant with...

View more questions Search