Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    COYDELIAJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Looking for Movie Title
    An old black and white movie after 1942 - I think. Similar plot as to Kill a Mocking Bird. An older black man is accused of killing a white man during a robery of a lumber mill. The story is narriated by a young boy. The owner of the lumber yard has one arm. They put the black man jail because he was walking down the road during a robery of the lumber yard. After putting the man in jail some of the men from town want to hang the accused, but are shamed by an older women sitting at the front of the jail, who calls them by name. One son of the owner is missing, they find him in quick sand under a bridge. The other son who is doing the stealing was caught by the dead brother. At the end of the movie you see the older black man walking about town in a nice suit with a nice pocket watch, being watched by the young man now grown up( I think he is a lawyer).

Thanks for your help - What's the title?
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Jul 30, 2009, 05:23 PM
    Intruder in the Dust (1950) http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=1567

Brief Synopsis:

Only a young boy and an old woman stand between an innocent black man and a lynch mob. MPAA
    Rating

FULL SYNOPSIS

A short time after Vinson Gowrie, a white lumberman, is found murdered in a small town, Lucas Beauchamp, a black landowner, is arrested and charged with the killing. As Lucas is led by Sheriff Hampton through an angry crowd of people gathered at the jail house, he turns to Chick Mallison, a white youth he has befriended, and asks him to summon John Gavin Stevens, Chick's lawyer uncle, to his aid. Recalling the November day he first met Lucas, Chick later tells John the story of how he and the black man became friends: While on a rabbit-hunting expedition with his black friend Aleck, Chick falls into an icy river and nearly drowns, but is rescued by Lucas, who owns the land around the river. Lucas takes Chick to his home and gives him food and dry clothes, but Chick, who has not been taught to respect black people, does not know how to react to his generosity. One day, at Fraser's General Store, Chick witnesses a group of white men taunting Lucas, and sees Vinson attempt to strike Lucas on the head. While Chick watches in motionless silence, some of the men surround Vinson and prevent him from completing the assault. Chick concludes his story by telling John that, despite his silence, Lucas considers him to be his friend and has placed his trust in him. John reluctantly agrees to take the case, and when he and Chick visit Lucas in his jail cell, Lucas tells them that he was beaten by a white lumberman, who forced him to identify his business partner, Vinson, as the man who was stealing lumber from him. Lucas is cautious and refuses to tell John any more details about the incident, but he privately asks Chick to dig up Vinson's body to prove that the bullet that killed Vinson was not fired from his gun. Although John opposes Chick's plan to exhume Vinson's body, Chick later finds an ally in Miss Eunice Habersham, an elderly woman who believes that Chick may be on the trail of an important clue. Late one night, Miss Habersham, Aleck and Chick go to the chapel at which Vinson is supposed to have been buried and begin digging up the grave. When they open the coffin, however, they are surprised to discover that it is empty. The discovery of the missing corpse convinces John and the sheriff that Lucas is innocent, and they join Chick in his search for Vinson's body. With help from Nub Gowrie, Vinson's father, John, the sheriff and others follow a trail of footprints that lead to a patch of quicksand near a river. Vinson's body is retrieved from the quicksand, after which it is determined that the bullet that killed him could not have been fired from Lucas' gun. Back in town, an angry crowd of white men, led by Vinson's brother Crawford, surrounds the jail house and demands that Lucas be lynched. Meanwhile, inside the jail house, Lucas tells John and Chick that although he was present when Vinson was shot and can identify Vinson's business partner, he never saw the man who fired the gun. Concluding that Vinson's business partner must be the killer, and that he is trying to frame Lucas for the murder, the sheriff and John decide to set a trap for the killer. After announcing that Lucas has been released from jail, the sheriff waits for the killer to try to silence Lucas. The plan works, and the killer is revealed to be Crawford. Crawford is arrested, and as he is led into the jail house, the townspeople gathered outside the jail house disperse.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very Very Vague Description of 80's Children Movie... Need movie title [ 8 Answers ]

Ok there's probably no hope here but I'll try anyway... There is a movie I watched when I was very young and would like to get a hold of it. It was in the mid 80's when I watched it but the movie could have been made in the 70's sometime. Pretty much the only part I can remember is these...

Title of early 90's or late 80's movie title [ 21 Answers ]

All I can remember is a boy being taken away from his mom in a clear barrel by NASA guys dressed in white suits. Something about doing experiments on him was needed or something. Please help me out if possible.

Trying to find a movie title. Very vague info, 80's movie [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... I only have a few images from the movie stuck n my head and am going nuts trying to remember the title... ... blonde girl lying on the bed with long curly or crimped hair ... guy in recliner, upset, gets a call and takes 2 rottweilers with him ... guy soots roach or bug on wall with a...

I love this movie I saw in mexico and the title waz in mexican but not the movie [ 3 Answers ]

I saw this movie about this famliy that dies except the daughter and the daughr moves into the aunts house. The aunts daughter finds this doll house and gets in truble for talking to it and it is because the aunt has locked the sprits of the famliy in the dolls and they think the aunt killed them a...

Looking For Movie Title of 90's Movie That Was Kind of Like Secret Garden [ 2 Answers ]

Im looking for the name of a movie and can't find it anywhere, its been driving me crazy for like the past three years. It's a chaldren's movie that I remember being similar to the Secret Garden. All I can remember is that a little girl is told not to enter a room, and she ended up finding...

View more questions Search