Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RodriguisIUR Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Backyard Trees and Vegetables - Cars Pollution
    Hi all!
    Im here to take some doubt about what I'm eating. I would appreciate if you know something about the subject , or at least read some studies (in labs, etc) about it.

So, the thing is that I live side by side with a road that has heavy traffic (cars, trucks, etc) and many times they stop right beside my backyard waiting in line.
    I eat many things that I have in my backyard, like tomatoes, onions, strawberries, oranges, peach, lemons, spinach, etc, etc... and many many times they all have black dots and are full of "ashes" from the traffic...

Of course I wash very well (hot water) all of them when I want to cook or eat.

My question is :
    - Do I have more probability to have cancer or other serious illness because of eating this food?
    - Despite the fact that I wash anything very well and cook with high temperatures, are the vegetables and fruits influenced, when growing from seed or not, by the toxic substances from the vehicles (heavy metals, gases, CO2, NOx, etc) and then have some kind of effect on my overall health?

I have to say that I've been healthy all my life and don't get ill very often. I don't drink alchool and I don't smoke either.

If you know something about this subject, I would appreciate to hear from you.

Thanks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 10:03 AM

You have every right to be worried about the 'close up' pollution, but you can solve the problem with a very good high fence if you want to maintain your garden and keep out the fumes.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vegetables in pa [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large vegetable garden in mid-PA, I love to grow tomatoes(both heir loom and hybrid). My problem is the last two years, my plants produce maybe one large crop then they seem to die off. I mean they actually turn brown and the leaves start to dfall off, bu they still have some fruit on...

Growing vegetables [ 1 Answers ]

What is the oldest growing vegetable

Son won't eat vegetables [ 6 Answers ]

I have problem with my son ,hi dozen like to eat vegetables .cane yo pleas tell me uhat to do I try to push him to eat but hi do uant.

Vegetables [ 7 Answers ]

:o Does anyone have any suggestions of how to add more vegetables to your diet? Any good recipes? I need some good ideas for my family. Thanks.

Vegetables [ 3 Answers ]

I've never liked most vegetables but as I learn more about the health consequences of a veggie-free lifestyle I'm determined to add more vegetables to my diet. I've found I like some vegetables raw rather than cooked, and I've been adding puréed veggies to soups and sauces. Does anyone have any...

View more questions Search