Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seller15 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 03:40 AM
    International student sell stuff on website. Pay tax or not
    Hi . I am currently a international student ( visa F1 ) . I start sell book on Amazon, abebook and eBay for 3 month.
    I usually bought book on barnesandnoble or some website like that with a cheap price and sell it back on those website.
    It started making more money. I make about 10,000 per month. ( after deduct the money I bought the book , may be I get 1-2000 )
    I used a method direct deposit to the bank from the website I sell.
    Do IRS know and Do I have to pay a tax for it. And you know , if I have to pay. How much I have to pay for it.
    Since I don't have a tint number and social number , how can They know I have to pay a tax.
    Can your guy help me . Because I want to make some money for my tuition. But I am afraid I have to pay the tax. If paying a tax. Mean I have doing it for nothing and I am in trouble.
    How can the IRS know we are selling stuff online.
    Thank You very much
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Right now, the IRS is NOT tracking these type of transactions, but I expect that eventually, they WILL require such websites to report those transaction and you will have to provide them your name and SSN.

Legally, you are generating income through an independent business, and income taxes for federal and state are due from you. Your F-1 visa status currently exempts you from self-employment taxes.

However, what you are doing is engaging in an independent buisiness, which IS a violation of your visa. The only income you are allowed to earn are wages as an employee to help offset your expenses, or while working in either a CPT or OPT tour in coordination with your university and with expressed permission of the USCIS.
    seller15 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Right now, the IRS is NOT tracking these type of transactions, but I expect that eventually, they WILL require such websites to report those transaction and you will have to provide them your name and SSN.

Legally, you are generating income through an independent business, and income taxes for federal and state are due from you. Your F-1 visa status currently exempts you from self-employment taxes.

However, what you are doing is engaging in an independent buisiness, which IS a violation of your visa. The only income you are allowed to earn are wages as an employee to help offset your expenses, or while working in either a CPT or OPT tour in coordination with your university and with expressed permission of the USCIS.
    But the law said international student is not allow to work , they did not said we not allow to sell stuff or doing business only. I am not working under anyone. is it still illegal ? Thank you for helping me out
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 09:29 AM
    You are splitting hairs. The USCIS did not grant you a F-1 student visa in order to set up a business in the U.S. to compete with other U.S.-based businesses. Your F-1 visa was granted for you to attend school, period.

BOTTOM LINE: Running that business is a violation of the provisions of your F-1 visa, and if you continue, you risk having the visa revoked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Student CPT [ 6 Answers ]

Hi AskMeHelpDesk.com , I am a single,unmarried graduate student from India and my school is in Georgia. I did a 6.5 months of Curriculum Practical Training during which my total salary etc. came out to be 37000 dollars. My CPT was in Austin, 1. I wrongfully entered my address in Company to be...

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Can J-2 EAD holders sell stuff online on eBay or similar websites? [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Immigration attorneys, Can valid J-2 EAD holders (with no restrictions on their EAD card) sell stuff on e-bay or similar websites? (Seems somewhat tricky as its not strictly an "employment" with an "employer." Any suggestions?) Thanks, Ratan.

International sell of home ? Inherited? Bringing money to the states. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am trying to get some advise on a house sale. I currently live in Ca. with my brother and mother. My Dad passed away 4 years ago in another country (Ecuador). My father lived in the U.S.A. and also in Ecuador however he owned a house where my mom and dads name is on. We are...

View more questions Search