Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mary_2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Standard Deviation and E(R)
    Hello all,

I need serious help with the following problem:

Cineplex Inc is considering two mutually exclusive projects - Cable and Satellite. The Possible NPVs for each project and their associated probabilities are as follows:

Cable: Satellite:

NPV ($000) PROBABILITY NPV($000) PROBABILITY

10 10% 15 60%
    20 50% 20 20%
    25 40% 40 20%

Calculate the standard deviation for each project. Which project has the higher level of risk?

Question: How am I supposed to calculate the E(R) from the NPV'S?
    Help...
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jul 30, 2009, 04:45 AM
    The E(R) for each project is just the weighted-average NPV for each, where the 'weights' are the probabilities associated with each outcome.

Simple example: I think there's a 75% chance that my business will have a profit next year of $100, and a 25% chance it'll make $130.

Using the lingo spoken in Probability-ville, my expected profit--or E(Profit)--is $107.50, which was figured this way:

(0.75 x 100) + (0.25 x 130) = $107.50.

Does that help a bit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standard Deviation [ 1 Answers ]

A medical researcher treats 100 subjects with high cholesterol with a new drug. The average decrease in cholesterol level is = 80 after two months of taking the drug. Assume that the decrease in cholesterol after two months of taking the drug follows a normal distribution, with unknown mean ...

Standard Deviation [ 2 Answers ]

The weights ( in pounds) of a sample of five boxes being sent by UPS are :12,6,7,3, and 10. Compute the standard deviation. I'm not quite sure where to start with this problem What formula do I use for this problem?

Standard Deviation [ 2 Answers ]

On one of my homework assignments I had this question: A coin is tossed 72 times. Find the standard deviation for the number of heads that will be tossed. Could you please help me get started? Then I will be fine. Thank you, Cheryl :confused:

View more questions Search