Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bdemond Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 07:34 PM
    Wire multiple lights on one switch
    I have wired a switch at the end of a circuit with three lights . One light turns on and off with the switch , the other two remain on all the time. How can I make all the lights turn on and off with the switch. I have already enclosed 14-2 wire in the ceiling between the lights. Is there any way to make the lights work properly without tearing out the ceiling and installing 14-3 wire between the lights.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 09:04 PM

At the and of the circuit?/ The switch should be before the lights in the circuit. The switch interrupts the black hot, so tell us what you connected to what? Normally the black goes to the switch and then from the switch to a light, use pigtails to the light and the black continues on to the next light, by pigtail and so on. The white runs to each light and is also pigtailed to the light fixture. Your other two light have their own black from somewhere that is not running from the black on the fixture you can control
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 09:14 PM

Tell us what you did as far a wiring and connections.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 05:30 AM
    Hi everyone...

First, bdemond.. answer the above questions from these guys... O.K.?

Then, I am no expert electrically for sure... heck, I'm not really even a plumbing expert, but I wanted to take a shot at answering this question based on my limited knowledge of electrical.

Please let me know if this would work for bdemond... OK? Bdemond, until an electrical expert reviews and approves or disapproves please do not attempt this work...O.K.??

DIAGRAM REMOVED...THANKS GUYS!!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 05:52 AM
    Mass, pull that diagram, it is so wrong, you have the lights in series.

Jul 30, 2009, 06:01 AM

Yes, you will have water leaking every where.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 06:07 AM
    I will review my work and discuss with you guys a little later! Thanks for watchin' my back!
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Yes,

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Yes, you will have water leaking every where.
    Water leaking from my eyes, from crying so hard from laughing.

Sorry Mass, having fun at your expense.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 06:09 AM
    Yes,

Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    I will review my work and discuss with you guys a little later!! Thanks for watchin' my back!
    Back to the drawing board for you.

Jul 30, 2009, 07:10 AM

The wiring is as follows:
    Power>light3>light2>light1>switch.
    All wire is 14-2/G. In light 3 black of power is hooked to black of light and black wire leading to light 2. In light 2 black from light 3 is hooked to light and black leading to light 1. In light 3 white from power is hooked to light and white leading to light 2. In light 2 white wire from light 3 is hooked to light 2 white wire and white wire leading to leading light 1. In light 1 white from light 2 is hooked light 1. Black from light 1 is hooked to brass post on the switch. Black from light 2 is hooked to white marked black from switch that is on the silver post.

Jul 30, 2009, 07:20 AM

If I am following your description correctly, power is coming to the light furtherest from the switch. In that situation you must use 3 wire cable between the lights. One wire to take the uninterrupted power through the boxes to the switch, one to bring the switched power back to the lights. One wire (white) for the neutral. Only other way is to bring the power to the switch or to the light closest to the switch. That's electrically closest. Can you change the switch loop to what is now the third light?
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 07:29 AM
    With wiring this way, as you state:

power>light3>light2>light1>switch

You need 3 wire cable, per my diagram.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf S09073010220.pdf (23.2 KB, 820 views)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 08:10 AM

TBde, your description is very wrong if you have actually described what you have. With this set up there is a live hot at each light waiting to make a circuit when the switch is thrown. Maybe Harold or TK can post a better diagram. I stink with pics and diagrams. Wiring a Basic Light Switch Diagram

Jul 30, 2009, 07:45 PM

I have the option of bringing the power to the switch . If I did this how would I wire the lights.I really appreciate the help I have received in trying to solve my problem. Thanks

Jul 30, 2009, 08:28 PM

If you can get power to the switch your wire would be this.
    Attached Images

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2009, 09:16 PM

Hijack: HK need a nice pic over here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ch-381692.html

Can you do it?
    electrecistarau Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 01:54 AM
    Can you email me a diagram of conecting multiple lights to one On-Off switc.
    Please
    electrecistarau Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2012, 01:56 AM
    I need to connect 5 lights to the ceiling with one On-Off switch
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 15, 2012, 03:14 PM
    Please skroll upwards within this article. There are several circuits drawn out.
    handymn Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2013, 09:54 AM
    I am following the diagram posted on July 30, 2009, and have 2 of my 6 lights wired. The first light goes on without an issue, but the second does not come on when the switch is turned on. Is there something I am missing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to run multiple lights on one switch? [ 20 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to bring power into a light, run to 3 other lights and then down to a switch? What I have done allows me to turn the lights on, but they are very dim so something is not right. Thanks,

How do I wire a ceiling fan with multiple independent lights [ 14 Answers ]

My ceiling fan (unknown brand) has a four light cluster and one light that hangs beneath the four. The fan runs fine, but I am having trouble wiring the lights. There is one black and one white wire coming from the fan assembly to the light fixtures. Each light has a black and a white wire... not...

One switch control multiple lights [ 1 Answers ]

To connect wiring,to use one switch on multiple lights.

Multiple Lights from one switch [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, was wondering what is the best way to wire multiple lights from one switch? When I say multiple I mean about 6 can lights in a kitchen. I will be running a new circuit from the box. I have always wired 2 or 3 lights from a single junction box which contains the power, the switch and...

Wiring one switch for multiple lights [ 2 Answers ]

I understand the wiring for a single switch for a single light but what do I do with multiple lights on the one switch without making the whole circuit run off that switch. There are other outlets that need constant power on the same line as the two lights.

View more questions Search