Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeromerbartels Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 04:45 PM
    new footings are 1 foot below existing footings
    We are adding a 12x24 addition to my house. The new footings are about 1 foot deeper than the house's current footing. Will I have any problem if I don't underpin the 24 foot section of footing?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 06:16 PM

No as long as the new addition is not a basement. If so and its below the other footing its better to pour a step wall from higher footer to the lower basement floor.

If this new footer is perpendicular to the old then now worries. It's the same as a stepped footer

Jul 30, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    No as long as the new addition is not a basement. If so and its below the other footing its better to pour a step wall from higher footer to the lower basement floor.

If this new footer is perpendicular to the old then now worries. Its the same as a stepped footer
    Yes the new footer is perpendicular to the old footer. The footing and new basement floor are already poured. Will I have problems and what should I do now?

Jul 30, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromerbartels View Post
    Yes the new footer is perpendicular to the old footer. The footing and new basement floor are already poured. Will I have problems and what should I do now?

The old footer is about 4 1/2 feet below grade and the new footer is about 5 1/2 feet below grade.
    Sothpaw Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 08:16 AM

When I figure out how to watch a thread I won't do a stupid reply like this...
    But isn't a single foot of difference almost exactly like a stepped footing?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 06:16 PM

Again if the perpendicular footer is stepped down from original and backfilled then no problems. If the old house footer is exposed the 24' length and the ground beside that dropped a foot then a 1 foot wall beside the old to encapsulate the dirt that exposed under the old footer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Footings for 4 season sunroom [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a area where it gets very cold in the winter time. Looking at building a 4 season sunroom, but I'm not sure what kind of footings I need. Don't really want a backhoe in my yard for concrete footings/foundation digging. Anything out there for adjustable heights that can be applied...

Concrete Footings - how can I tell if I have them [ 24 Answers ]

How can I tell if I really have footings under columns on a concrete front porch I have? The Columns are on top of the concrete so the footings should be under the concrete normal pad, right?

Form boards on footings [ 2 Answers ]

We have poured footings and left the 3/4" exterior grade plywood form boards in place. The footings are below grade so not air will be exposed to the plywood. Will this be proper?

Footings for a beam [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, I'm back. I have a quick question that I hope one of you can answer. I am trying to rebuild my deck. I have to redig footings for the beam since the previous owners did it incorrectly. I tried to dig the one on the end about a foot in but I got about a foot down and hit what seems to be a...

Concrete Pillars & Footings [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to install a pair of gates on 2' x 2' block (filled with rebar and concrete) pillars. Each gate panel is about 13' high x 6' wide and weighs about 850 pounds. One gate company indicated that the footings should be 6' x 6' x 4' deep while another indicated 3' x 3' x 3' deep. Does...

View more questions Search