Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1shelby2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Certificate of Deposit - Ownership - Mother & Son on Certificate
    Hi my Mother-in-Law took our a CD about 15yrs ago and has her name and my husbands, her sons name on it. She's become ill and she has been placed in Hospice Care. My Brother in law is going to get a power of attorney to take care of her affairs. He does not know about this CD yet. Once he finds out about it, can he remove my husbands name off it and put his name on it. The CD is now worth about $33,000.00 and it is listed on our Bank Statement, so we have been keeping track of it all these years.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anne
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 06:21 PM

It depends on how the names are listed, it is possible that any of the named people can merely withdraw the money.

Also a CD has to renew every so often, I have some that renew every year or every five years, There would not be a 15 year CD.

But as power of attorney he can do any business and sign for her. It is very possible that yes he can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Landloed has not provided a certificate of deposit for security deposit [ 3 Answers ]

I have requested several times,verbally, a receipt for an escrow account for my 2100 dollar security deposit. The landlord has not complied and I feel he has spent the money. I called him on several occasions which finally he picked up the phone. I told him to figure on picking up the rent...

Certificate of Deposit Ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My sister and I have a small inheritance, gifted to us jointly by our father. It was in an investment account as Joint Tenants, With Right of Survival going to our children upon our deaths. Some of the money has been pulled from this account and put into CD's, with ownership in my sisters name In...

Certificate of deposit [ 2 Answers ]

You need $28,974 at the end of nine years, and your only investment outlet is an 8 percent long-term certificate of deposit (compounded annually). With the certificate of deposit, you make an initial investment at the beginning of the first year. a. What single payment could be made at the...

Certificate of deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was wanting to know about 5yrs ago my dad paid my child support I was 16 and my mom gave the check to my uncle and he put the check into a cd for 5yrs and we don't know what bank he put it in and recently he had stroke and his memory is not good at all he doesn't remember much so I just turn...

Certificate of Deposit ownership [ 3 Answers ]

My 90 year old mother as a CD with my oldest brother listed as the beneficiary. He is the executor of the Estate. Upon her death will be have sole ownership of the money or will it become part of her Estate? Our brother has been trying to cut all the other members out of everything he can.

View more questions Search