Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blkbirds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Sueing a roommate not on the lease for unpaid rent
    If someone signs a lease agreement for an apartment and then asks their friend to move in with them (this friend is not on the lease and has not signed anything regarding responsibility for the property or any utilities) can this person sue their friend for rent money if that friend has to move out suddenly due to financial difficulties?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2009, 03:22 PM

Verbal agreements are binding if they can be proven.
    Dont treadonme Posts: 115, Reputation: -6

Aug 3, 2009, 10:11 AM

Yes

Have they made prior payments? Paper trail

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being Sued for unpaid rent when I never signed Lease [ 1 Answers ]

Me and 4 others planned on living in a house near our University. We paid security deposit and landlord said he would email us all a copy of the lease and we would individually sign it and mail it to him along with a check for 1st months rent. Only 2 of us were to move in on the day of the start of...

Roommate on lease not paying full rent and utilities [ 1 Answers ]

Ok here's my issue. I live in CA and both my roommate and I are on the lease on our apartment. However. It turns out he's been evading child support and now that they've caught up with him he can't make the amount he agreed to pay ($600 which includes his half of the rent and utilities). It started...

Collecting past rent from roommate with no lease. [ 1 Answers ]

I am the only current tenant on the lease of a 3 bedroom apartment in Hollywood, CA I in turn, rent out the other 2 rooms, collect the rent and then pay the landlord, so I personally am the only one responsible for paying. One of the roommate's checks bounced in his 2nd month of living there. ...

Ex-Roommate refuses to pay recent rent, though not on lease [ 2 Answers ]

In September, 2007, my best friend at the time and I moved into a great new apartment in Brooklyn. Because our combined incomes were not enough to get the apartment, my parents agreed to co-sign. Because of this, only my name had to be on the lease. Regrettfully, I did not require that my friend...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

View more questions Search