Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scodan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 12:43 PM
    Can the IRS garnish disability from social security?
    I owe the IRS about 40 grand. I had 3 strokes recently and have applied for social security disability. If approved for disability my monthly check would be about 1800 dollars. What can I do to keep the IRS from my meager check?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2009, 12:52 PM
    The IRS is the among the very few people who can, but under certain regulations.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Scodan:

If the SSD income is your ONLY income and your asset baseis such that you need that money to maintain our standard of living above the poverty level, then the IRS cannot touch it!

You may need to prove these economic facts of life, but that should not be too hard.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can PA child support garnish social security disability [ 4 Answers ]

If I receive social security disability and it is my only source of income, and puts me below the poverty level - can child support garnish for the $15,000 I owe in arrears? I just got them to modify to stop accruing monthly payments since I haven't worked in over a year, but once I get this money...

How much can IRS garnish from Social Security? [ 17 Answers ]

I was wondering how much the IRS can garnish from my social security check? I owe back taxes and they just sent me a letter stating they are going to take almost 45% of my social security check. It is going to leave me unable to pay my rent and utilities. Can they really take up to almost 50%. ...

IRS can they garnish my social security check [ 6 Answers ]

IRS can they garnish my socila security check

Can they garnish my social security disability check my only source of income ? [ 7 Answers ]

Court papers notifying me that I am being sued for payment of a credit card debt was found near my apartment. The writ of summons however was not placed in my hands nor was it sent through the mail. Was I legally notified because the papers were placed on the patio ground of my apartment and found...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search