Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woodsense Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2006, 07:56 AM
    Automatic Fax, shared with phone
    I have Windows XP Pro. I can receive faxes manually. But I want to have my computer detect the fax tone and receive faxes automatically. I have one phone line and share it with the fax and an answer machine that picks up after 4 rings or after 2 rings if there is a new message.

Is there a way to set up Windows XP to detect the fax signal and automatically start to receive the fax after 1 ring?

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 20, 2006, 08:20 AM
    No. You MIGHT be able to do this with your software, but generally no. what you want to get is a COMswitch. You connect the switch to your phone line, and connect your answering machine and modem to the switch. The switch picks up the call, listens for the Fax handshaking signal and routes the call to either the answering machine or the PC.

These aren't as available as they once were as faxing in dying out. But I know Staples has them.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 20, 2006, 08:34 AM
    The still make fax machines with answering machines built in. They sell them everywhere. I have a new one. DSL is a good thing if you stay online a lot. You can still receive calls and faxes while online.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shared neutral [ 21 Answers ]

I have a 50 year old home. I am doing some remodeling and found that I have 2 separate circuits sharing the same neutral. I hadn't seen this before and I am worried about it. Is this in itself a problem? Also, the neutral is hot where I am remodeling but not at the breaker box. Do I have a...

How to record phone conversations from phone to PC? [ 6 Answers ]

Is there an inexpensive way to record phone conversations directly to PC using the earphone or headset jack port on the phone to either microphone line in port or USB port on PC? Does it also require special software? Here's what I want to do: My friend and I want to record our phone...

Shared Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

We live in Maryland on a shared roadway/driveway--our house is at the very front of the property. There are 6 other residents on the road. We are having a disagreement regarding how the cost of repairing the road should be shared. Because we only have acess to 50% of the road, we think that we...

Stolen phone - am I stuck with phone charges? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone was stolen recently and the guy who stole it called all over the place, adding about $175 in phone charges to our phone bill. I reported it stolen to Qwest, but they say the charges are still my responsibility. I am planning to refute the bill, but I don't know the correct...

View more questions Search